What would you do with your daughter's dress up costumes that don't fit anymore?

I just cleaned out all her drawers and kept what was still good for her but she likes to play dress up with her snow white costume and her cinderella costume. But now they don't fit her and I know she will be very angry with me if I got rid of them.

Not to mention If I was to tell her hey if we can get rid of this mommy will buy you another and it will be of your size now you are growing up so fast that is why mommy has to get rid of it.

Besides she is a 6 yr. old girl size 7/8-10/12 depends on how it is made but she is very slim and wears a size 13 in shoes. Do they still make clothes her size like they did when little girls start to play dress up. And where can I find her size I know Walmart doesn't have them anymore (in her size that is).

Help! and Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would donate them to a second hand store, maybe one that specializes in kids clothes like Other Mothers. If she gets upset, tell her she can pick out something new at the store, even if it isn't a dress up costume. Maybe she will find something else she is into and will find a new hobby.
    Anonymous

• The Disney Store sells princess dresses in larger sizes. My daughter is going through the samething. She's almost a size 10/12. If the Disney Store is too pricey, they sell patterns online and at Walmart. Make her one. (She would think that was really special) I don't think there is anything wrong with our girls still wanting to play dress up. Their imaginations still need to be inspired.
    Carrielou13

Answer by Carrielou13 at 2:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• the school where my sister teaches, collects and distributes halloween costumes to those children who may not otherwise have one and even used smaller ones to siblings. Check your local school district. Maybe a preschool/daycare might like them for dress up play.

chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 2:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• We give them away

Answer by rkoloms at 3:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• We give outgrown dress-up clothes to second-hand stores. Then we turn around, go inside, and pick out one or two new items. We don't specifically buy "dress-up" clothes, we buy clothes that are 1 to 2 sizes bigger that are things we don't wear for everyday stuff, for example: big fluffy easter dresses, or christmas dresses, or even flower girl/junior bridesmaid type of dresses. DD just likes to wear fluffy, frou-frou things as dress-up clothes. Works really well for us.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 4:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Here's what works for us. First we take a picture of the outfit being donated (only if it is something "special"). Then we give it away via FreeCycle. My DD gets to SEE the family who is receiving the item.

If the outfit is in super excellent condition and is worth anything, I sell on Craigslist (same with her toys). SHE gets to keep the money (1/2 for the bank and 1/2 to spend).

With this process we have no problem passing along old toys and clothes
    auroragold

Answer by auroragold at 4:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Toy's-R-Us and Target both carry large size dress up. Another idea would be e-bay, or other on-line sources, besides it might be fun for her to get a surprise package in the mail!
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 9:56 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Its almost halloween, maybe you can find a costume in her size that she could use for dress up.
    Anonymous

• my dd is 7 and is big enough to play n old prom dresses. The girls love them and you can use your own if you have them, or go to garage sales or thrift stores. I find they like the ones from the 80s with big sleeves the best lol!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 19, 2009