Has anyone used Paraguard?

I am almost ready to go to my 6 week postpartum checkup and need to decide on some birth control. We had a lot of trouble conceiving our baby girl because I wasn't ovulating on my own. I am looking to stay away from hormonal birth control because of this. I know my options are very limited. Charting won't work because my periods are irregular and I can't see my husband and I using condoms. I have been looking into Paraguard but everyone I know who has an IUD has Mirena. Just wondering if anyone could give me any advice.

spbeta

Asked by spbeta at 2:32 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have the Mirena and love it, however my friend has the Paraguard and she loves it. It's the same kind of insertion, so it's like a bad pap smear. She said she had a lot of discharge for a while and right when she was going to think: this sucks, it went away and it was like nothing.

Her husband doesn't feel the strings (they're like fishing line) when they have sex. Mine did, until I got mine trimmed and now it's fine. All in all I think it's a good choice.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 2:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I just got my Paragard tooken out because of all the problems, It was great to start out with, but then I started to get really bad pain my my pelvic area, and naseua, head aches, and the chills all the time, I went to the gyno almost every other month for a year 3 different drs and none of them could find whats wrong, well yesterday I went to a 4th dr and she took it out that visit and told me I was having a sever alergic reaction to the copper. I had it for almost 2 yrs.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 3:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I have had 2, the first came part way out, not so far that I, or DH could feel it but enough to make it not effective apparently. The second I removed myself when we decided to TTC. The only thing I will say is it did make cramps worse. I never had to really worry about it, I checked the strings once a month (really fine copper wire). Make sure they don't trim the strings too short so you cannot feel them. I really loved it so will probably do it again after baby #2 if insurance won't cover getting my tubes tied. The doctor who put my second one in said in her experience, having it come part way out, like mine did, isn't common and usually happens if they put it in too soon after a woman has had a baby and her uterus has not come down in size completely.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I have it and it's not too bad. I have actually had both Mirena and now the Paragaurd. With the Mirena I found that I gained 50 + pounds and was not able to conceive for a year and a half after having it removed. I literally had three periods in a year and a half, it was NOT fun.

The experience I have with Paragaurd has been good so far. My periods are much heavier and longer, but I also have the benefit of knowing that when we remove it, there will not be a hormone issue to work around. I have noticed that my cramps are much worse than they were before, but don't last as long. I like it.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 5:44 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• What about a diaphragm? They work without hormones and have no side effects. They never caused a stroke, infertility or PID; you won't gain weight, get depressed, or lose your libido; your periods won't be affected. They have never been the subject of class action lawsuits and are instantly reversible.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2009