Flu shots?

I've seen a few questions on here recently about the flu. My Dr did recommend that I get the flu shot, just normal flu not swine flu. I have never had the flu and the only sickness I EVER get is strep throat, and I dont really want to get the flu shot bc it seriously seems like everytime my grandparents get a flu shot one of them gets the flu a week or two later.
I've also heard people saying (here around my area anyways) that the swine flu shot AND vaccine have not been fully tested and that it may not be good/safe for pregnant women?
I'm honestly not too worried about getting the flu, and Ive read up online about it and as long as you stay hydrated then you should be fine while pregnant.
What are your thoughts on this and are you or have you got a flu shot this year while pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I got the regular flu shot, not swine flu. I also got it with my other children. The only year I did not get the flu shot- 2004, I got the stomach flu so bad I almost ended up in the hospital because of dehydration.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 3:44 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• i got the regular flu shot while i was pregnant.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I felt the same. I have not had the flu since i was in elementary and never get the flu shot. My doc wanted me to get flu shot just incase but not the swine bc its not been test enough. And her daughter is getting over the swine. I read if i should get flu or not.. and read that if i were to get flu while preg... that it could cause more complications and etc. I trust my doc and got it. I had no side effects which i was pumped about. I say get the flu shot and do good hygiene and hopefully you should be ok
    Anonymous

• I'm 30 weeks and just got the regular flu shot today. I ususally never get the flu shot. But if you do the research getting the flu at certian times during pregnancy can actaully hurt the baby :( So I decided to go ahead and get it. I don't think I'm going to get the N1H1 shot though... Haven't really decided yet.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I just got my flu shot the other day. I am most likely getting the swine flu shot as well. I want to protect my child as well as my unborn child. My doctor recommended getting both. It's a personal decision.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 4:33 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I have never had the flu in my life but I still choose to get the flu shot every year just to protect myself. I got my flu shot yesterday

FYI... water (hydration) doesnt keep you healthy!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Remember the flue shot gives you the flue virus but in a dead form.

Your immune system still jumps into attack mode to get rid of the dead virus.

In a strong young person, it may just feel like a little tiredness for a day, but in an older person, like your grandparents, it probably seems like a bigger deal.

You really just have to weigh your risks either way for the shots. For me, I've been getting flue shots for over a decade now with no problems (other than a little tired), so I know my body takes to them just fine, and I'm not worried about getting them.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 5:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2009