how to decorate a tree stump? (another halloween decorating question)

this is kind of an odd question lol. the front of my home doesnt have a lot going on. theres a few tall pine tree, all branches out of reach, I have an old fashioned well in the very front corner of the property, and a huge rotting tree stump. I'd really like to decorate my yard for halloween, but the ideas of hanging ghosts from a tree for all passers-by to see are out of the question and I'm not plentiful with rods to support in the ground to hold stuff up. ....but do any of you have any creative decoration ideas for a tree stump? so far I taped on some diy ghost shapes from a milk jug on my door, la-dee-dah! I wanna do more than that decoration-wise lol.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• one idea I did have was making "floating" ghosts, holding hands around the stump as if doing a seance, but I dont have a bunch of white sheets nor do I want to waste garbage bags, and besides I dont really have/know of anything I have laying around to support them in the ground....
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• You can use sticks from the yard as stakes to hold up your ghosts(i did it one year and it worked out great--just have to find the right ones)....a few garbage bags don't cost that much and you can use them again next year...i like the ghost circle idea
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:12 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• make a scarecrow and have him sitting on the stump, throw a scary mask on him and a floppy hat and your good to go!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• have any suggestions for the heads of the ghosts? I'd really like the ghosts to be as life size (no pun intended) as possible. I have milk jug i could turn over, I could always stuff the garbage bags with more bags.....either sound good? or have any other suggestions? and how would I attach the ghosts to the sticks? tape? string?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• i'm not sure if I could pull off making a scarecrow, but that is a good idea and opening up my creative side! more and more! keep em comin ladies!!!!!!! :o)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• and another thing, I dont know if I could pull off the ghosts anyways because how would I kep the heads up? this is why I wish I had a good tree because i could just tie a string on the heads and make them float
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• You could try to make your rotting tree stump into a spider! All you would have to pick up would be some longish dowel rods and paint them black! and of course cover the stump with a black garbage bag. If you wanted to get super creative you could turn it into a "beheading" by stuffing some old jeans and a flannel shirt with hay, carve a pumpkin to look like a face in shock and bury an axe in the treestump (your boyfriend could drive it in really hard so that your lil man couldnt get at it) and then just use ketchup on the day of halloween to look like blood....having the pumpkin on the ground of course near the body!
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• it's a really big stump though lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2009