Normal or the start to lying?

Ok, So I am not freaking out about this or anything but am just a first time Mom and was wondering. My son will be 2 in 3 weeks and we are working on him being gentle and nice with our Cats and my sister has a little yip yip dog that jumps all over him we are trying to get him to get used to, well we left her house and he said "gigi bites max" I said "gigi didn't bite you honey" and then he said "gigi bites max" now, I KNOW its not true cause he was basically on my lap 100% of the time but he's also done that with our Cats. We will be sitting there together, petting the Cat and he will look at me and say "thor bites Max" which didn't happen either - and my cats always RUN far from him so I know it wouldn't have happened before - plus, he doesn't play by himself, I HAVE to always be by him lol!! so... is this pretty normal or a start to lying? I don't even know how he would know what BITE is actually..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Maybe he isn't telling you that it happened, maybe he's telling you that it could happen...I know I tell my toddler "Be Gentle, Nice Touches Only, you don't want the dog to bite you". So maybe he is asking if the dog/cat will bite him. I would use the opportunity to reinforce proper behavior with animals...i.e. respond with, "If you aren't gentle, yes, they could bite you...tails are not for pulling...fur is for petting only...never touch a dog or cat unless the owner says it is okay....never touch a dog or cat while they're eating... etc." ????
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• It might not be lying it might be him restating consquences. Have you told him that being mean to kitty or doggie will get him bitten. He might just be cementing the idea in his mind. My niece does this all the time.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:32 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Maybe he thought he was biting and probably just licked him.

Answer by older at 3:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• When mine have done this it wasn't lying. Merely them stating what they know to be a fact. That the cat can bite. That you have to be nice to the cat and if you are not the cat will bite.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 3:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• At two, it is normal do believe that what you want to happen actually happened.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:40 PM on Oct. 16, 2009