Do you believe in the WHO or not?

It seems odd to me that people who breastfeed and do not vax quote the WHO on breastfeeding, yet discount them when it comes to vaccinating. One poster in particular says the the WHO is in cohoots with big Pharm, yet quotes them in defense of extended breastfeeding up to and past 2 years. Your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Just goes to show you how so many people have at least two faces. They put on which ever one will get them the most attention.
    Anonymous

• I like Roger Daltrey, and I love Pete Townshend. Is that what you mean?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Oh, yes, that is exactly what I meant...their stand on vaccinating and breastfeeding are most enlightening! ;)

For the rest of you uninformed the WHO is not only a great rock band, but also the initial for the World Health Organizarion
    Anonymous

• I see what you mean. The WHO is not the be-all end-all in healthcare decisions. I do think that they, in general, have really great guidelines. I chose to delay vaccinations because of several factors, one being a prominent study out of Japan showing a link between vaccinations and SIDS. For me, the benefits of delaying outweighed the risks. I support vaccinations for mothers who must return to work, babies who live with at-risk parents, and for babies who live in places where the diseases are prominent.

The point is that the WHO has great guidelines on breastfeeding, supported by evidence. Moms who choose to follow those recommendations and not the vaccine ones are probably cherry-picking based on personal beliefs, or on evidence coming from other places that they put stock in. You can believe one source for one thing and another for something else. We don't have to pick one source to base our decisions on.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I agree with the WHO on their stance on breastfeeding - but disagree with their stance on vaccines.

I list the WHO as a source when anyone says "breastfeeding is pointless past 6 months" - but would never list ot as a resource for vaccine info.

I don't only breastfeed past 2 because the WHO told me to - clearly if that were the case I would also vaccinate my children - which I don't. But they just happen to be right on breastfeeding and wrong about vaccines - I know because I myself have done my research - and wasn't tempted by the big pharma companies to dish out advice about vaccines.
    Anonymous

• and wasn't tempted by the big pharma companies to dish out advice about vaccines.

If they were tempted by big pharma about vaccines, why are they not tempted by formula makers? Do they get enough $ from big pharm that they do not need the $ from formula makers?
    Anonymous

• "I like Roger Daltrey, and I love Pete Townshend. Is that what you mean? "

I love Roger Daltry. I adored Keith Moon (saw his last tour in Nov. of 1975)

Answer by rkoloms at 4:24 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• It is because some people think that RECOMMENDATIONS mean law and they do not. What is best for one child may not be best for another.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I chose to delay vaccinations because of several factors, one being a prominent study out of Japan showing a link between vaccinations and SIDS.

There is no prominent study out of Japan showing a link between vaccines and SIDS. A review of medical literature will show many detailed studies indicating the rate of SIDS among unvaccinated children is actually higher than the rate among vaccinated children.  This article might be helpful for you to read.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I think the recommendations by WHO are great as a worldwide standard, but I think in a developed nation like we have, what is considered "best" is going to vary from what may be considered "best" in a third world country. I tend to stick more with the AAP rather than the WHO on guidelines.

Answer by missanc at 10:58 AM on Oct. 17, 2009