question about autism

Is there a cut off age as to when it shows up? I have heard 18 months but wonder if a 3 year old could become autistic? Anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• IMO, someone doesn't become Autistic but I do believe that it can become more noticeable over time. My son is 15 and when he was finally diagnosed at 5, the age that it could be tested was 3 and over.

If you have any more questions, i would be happy to answer them. Just PM me.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Children don't suddenly become Autistic. I think for diagnosis it depends on the severity of the Autism as to how soon it can be detected and diagnosed. Some kids are diagnosed early as they are not reaching developmental milestones and have 'red flags' in their behaviors. Other children are diagnosed later-- my son was 8 1/2 yrs when he was diagnosed with high functioning Autism.
    Anonymous

• what about people saying that getting your children shots causes it?
    Anonymous

• All 4 of my children have had shots....only 1 has autism. It is just how it is & though the kid can be a pain in the behind, I love him just as much as the other 3. You all will here of him some day, whether good or bad, he will be the best at whatever he chooses to be.
    Anonymous

• The shots don't cause it. That's already been disproven but because the media hyped it up so much that it was a "cause" no one will now believe the truth.
    Anonymous

• SHOTS DO NOT CAUSE AUTISIM. AUTISIM IS A GENETIC DISORDER ON THE MOTHER'S SIDE. There is no cutoff age for diagnosis. Most kids are diagnosised at about 18 months or older. Children do not become Autistic, they are born with the disorder. There are different degrees of Autisim and there are many types of Autisim. If you are worried, get your child evaluated by a professional.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• my friends little girl was diagnosed when she was 6yrs old I don't really know when one really knows I guess different kids at different times. not everyone at the same time.
    Anonymous

• There is nothing that indicates autism is only on the mothers side. Get a grip, autism is caused by ALL sorts of things. I just posted this journal.
    http://www.cafemom.com/journals/archive.php?type=mine

Autism and items on the ASD can be diagnosed at nearly any age. 18 mos is most certainly NOT the cutoff and it is actually more likely to not be dx until closer ot three.

When in doubt, you should contact your local early intervention program.Nearly every state has free screenings,e vals and therapy for kids with special needs under three.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!
    southernlamom

Answer by southernlamom at 11:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Autism is a spectrum disorder and it's diagnosised based on a set of symptoms (which have changed over time). There's not test that conclusively proves someone has "autism". So a person can be diagnosised with autism at any age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• tyfry...
    "SHOTS DO NOT CAUSE AUTISIM. AUTISIM IS A GENETIC DISORDER ON THE MOTHER'S SIDE. "

First of all, it's spelled autism and there are no conclusive studies that show that it's only on the mother's side OR that it's a genetic disorder.

Answer by missanc at 4:00 AM on Oct. 17, 2009