is my kid's pet dying???

Our kid has a pet batta/betta fish and for about two weeks all we've seen it do is come up to the top of the tank, suck a bubble, and then go back down. It lies around at the bottom all the time now, and just when we thought it was dead it swam to the other side of the tank. We’ve had it for about two months now and it didn’t use to behave this way, but once again I almost took the net and was going to take it out and flush it, but it swam away. It was lying on its side on the bottom! Go figure.

Is it dying slowly? it no longer comes up to the top when we turn on the light to drop food nor does it go after the food.

{Tapping on your computer screen}....hello? Can you help? Do you know? {Pulling up a chair to listen to you}.....go ahead cause I'm all ears.

angel-s-cort

Asked by angel-s-cort at 3:58 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Pets

• betta fish are the most indestructable fish out there! i have had the same one for about two years now...they never die! mine does the same thing, he mostly lies on the bottom...the reason is these fish are generally found in mud puddles....for some reason they can survive in the most disgusting conditions (this is what a pet store owner told me). Dont worry bout your fish...if you wanna know if its still alive put a mirror up to the bowl...they will see thier reflection and puff up thier fins...they dont like any other fish and will think the fish in the mirror is an intruder...lol
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Be careful with that mirror thing...I've seen them kill themselves "attacking" the intruder!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I was going to say exactly what blueeyedgrl said. When I got my betta fish, the guy at the pet store told us we could do the mirror thing as kind of a trick, like fetch with a dog. I thought the fish was dying, but my then 4 yr old held the mirror up and the fish went nuts. They are very sturdy fish. ours survived my kids pulling the tank down and spilling it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:04 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• yes VERY true angie....only use the mirror for short periods...mine has never attacked it, just followed the mirror if i moved it....but two big nonos are using the mirror as a tease, or tapping the bowl...that actually hurts thier ears and can stress them out.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• They are very tough fish. We had one that our kittens knocked over its bowl and then brought the fish to my SO and it was about 20 mins w/o water and it lived for 2 years.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• One of mine did this for awhile you may want to put your fish in a little bit of a warmer area it maybe getting a draft from somewhere and the water just maybe too cold.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like the water is cold. Check the temperature with a tank thermometer- you can get them at Walmart for a couple bucks. If it is under 55/60 move the tank to a warmer area.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• no, they're not dying.... they're pretty much chill fish lol. and they are surface breathers, that's why they come up to the top.... to breathe. don't feed them too much though. like 2 or 3 pellets / day is good. i'm on my 3rd betta. my other 2 each lived for over 3 years
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• How clean is the tank? Our betta gets a lot more 'sluggish' when the tank needs to be cleaned. He is more active with fresh water. This is our second betta and he is about three years old- our last one lived to be about four. They are pretty hardy fish- our last one was about five years old when it died.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• you guys are fabulous.....{sighing},,,,I wasn't able to get to the computer in time to check out y'all answers and flush the little guy down the toilet about two hours ago today {sunday night} cause it just did nothing. now I'm sad cause I thought it was suffering and dying slowly. the tank was clean and cleaned out every two weeks. Gasp! I killed a perfectly good fish!!! got to buy another tomorrow....I just got to.

{shamefully running away with "stupid" taped to my forehead}...........a thousand UGH's!!!
    angel-s-cort

Answer by angel-s-cort at 10:37 PM on Oct. 18, 2009