Valentines day and St. Patrick's day---are they Christian holidays?

Read a a post the other day that said these are religious holiday. I went to Catholic schools and never got religion out of these days. We got more religion during Halloween than Valentines and St. Pa tricks.

Are they really Christian or pagan days? (I put the pagan in there because I KNOW somebody is going to feel the need to bring up pagans did it first LOL )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• http://www.history.com/content/valentine/history-of-valentine-s-day

I dont think so.
    Anonymous

• I saw that one anon. There are quite a few interpretations on Valentines.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• and what do your links says? Yes, I am too lazy and my computer is too slow to link.
    Anonymous

• would you say yes than pwnmom?
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't call them holidays, they are feast days, and almost every day is a feast day of a different saint. These feast days have just become popularized/secularized in our culture.

Here's a calendar of feast days.

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 4:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I can not say that either is a Christian or Pagan.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• well...they are both Catholic saints...but the holidays that we celebrate are far from religious imo. i mean in secular society St Pattys Day is all about Irish food & getting drunk & V-day is about chocolate & romance. the name sake of the holidays are rarely talked about on that day. at least in America its that way...ive heard the Irish don't celebrate St Pattys quite the same as Americans.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I agree with erdavh - Catholic saints have feast days in which they're remembered. One day may be associated with several different saints. Today is the feast day for saints Gerald Majella, Hedwig, Maxima, Ambrose, Anastasius XX, Balderic, Baldwin, Bercharius, Bertrand of Comminges, Vitalis, Saturninus & Companions, Conogon, Dulcidius, Eliphius, Eremberta, Glorentinus of Trier, Junian, Kiara, Lull, Magnobodus, and Mummolinus. Society in the US has taken St. Patrick's Day and St. Valentine's Day and secularized them.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 5:40 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Valentines day was originally celebrated on Feb 15th, it started in Rome. It was a fertility festival. The emperor put a ban on marriages for fear that men would not want to leave their wives during war and these couples would go to St. Valentine to be married (thats one theory). St Patricks day is a Roman Catholic holiday so I would say that one is Christian and I don't believe it has any Pagan origin (don't quote me though b/c I can't be 100% sure). St Valentines day was recognized by the Catholic church only because they wanted to get away from its Pagan origins so they changed the entire meaning of the "Mating Festival" that the romans observed.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 7:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2009