Anorexia, do you KNOW when you are?

If one is anorexic, do they know without a diagnosis from a doctor? I was recently told that I am anorexic, but couldnt disagree more.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Did a doctor tell you that, or some lady who wishes she was skinny?  I have battled eating disorders,bulimic.  If the doctor told you , take it seriously!  Please get help, it is easy to deny when you are the one with the disease--and yes it is a disease that you need help with!

kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• PS-- What is your height weight? Give me an example of what you eat everyday--be honest!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• (OP) I was told by a doctor, as well as a nutritionist, but I have always thought that "anorexics" withhold food from themselves... I believe that I eat a fairly well rounded diet, but have recently started having trouble maintaining my weight above 90lbs. Its hard to not get defensive with them about it, as everything that I eat, my son eats as well.
    Anonymous

• I am 5' 1", 85lbs.
    Anonymous

• Hi, me again, I would say that you are too thin, but if you have a small frame not quite to the anorexic stage. Do you still get your period? If you truly are eating, please go have blood work done, weight loss that is unexplained could be from alot of different things--worms to cancer! Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Anorexia nervosa is not a medical condition, but a psychological one. It sounds as though you have a health problem that is keeping you from gaining weight, but as long as you are eating willingly and do not feel as though you need to lose weight or are "fat" and need to exercise, I personally would not say you are anorexic, except in appearance. I'm with you there- I weigh 93 and stand at 5'4". Gaining weight is hard, but possible. Go back and ask your doctor about options to gain weight. Being as skinny as we both are increases the risk of heart disease, osteoporosis, and certain cancers, to name the big ones. I am trying to add some pounds, so should you.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Well, how much do you eat in a day? Are you constantly on diets?
    DCchick06

Answer by DCchick06 at 5:52 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• That seems like not very much weight. Even if you do eat a little it may not be enough. Does food sound bad? How about full fat lattes? Seriously, if the nutritionist and doctor are telling you this, it's not to blow smoke up your butt. Listen to them before you die. They have nothing to gain by lying to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Do you isolate yourself? Do you think about throwing up after every meal? Do you do it? DO you drink and then throw up? DO you get depressed about gaining weight and freak out when you have to eat? Do you starve yourself until you can overeat and then get rid of it? FOr me it was like 4 or 5 pounds less. So you should start to eat otherwise life expectancy is shortned. You organs and stomach lining get messed up and your face breaks out and you can really get messed up from thinking you are fat when you are not. DO look at those actresses they are on speed and uppers and starve themselves with coffee and soup. They have no ass and have fake boobs.
    Anonymous

• Anorexia has nothing to do with how little you weigh. My friend weighs 90 lbs and is not anorexic, but simply can't keep the weight on. Anorexia is a psychological problem where the person feels they are too fat, and result in purposely starving themselves. They have a distorted view of their body.
    Anonymous