Abortion propoganda - unwanted children

This is not a question of the right or wrong of abortion, but the accuracy of propoganda and parental responsibility.

This article states abortion as the answer to reducing the number of unwanted children. This is possible to an extent. But, doesn't it seem that a lot (if not the majority) of unwanted children were intentionally made by irresponsible or dilusional parents? Your opinion?
article

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the number of children who are truly unwanted and born anyway, then raised in the home that didn't want them in the first place is remarkably small. And I'd rather be an unwanted child and live in a home full of people who didn't want me, but have a chance to make myself something more than my circumstances than to have been culled in the womb.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I've long believed that if you're really serious about cutting abortions, you stop talking about THAT subject and instead promote mandatory reversible sterilization, that can only be undone upon passing a parenting course and fulfilling "parental license" obligations.

We require licensing or certifications for driving, for teaching...even for doing manicures! But any Dick and Jane with working reproductive organs is allowed to put them to use with no consideration of whether they SHOULD be parents. If children are really that important, they should be harder to come by.

Of course, it's a fantasy. Because who would determine the requirements for licensing? Who would determine the coursework?

But DAMN I think it's what we need.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:33 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• gdiamante. If they had those kinds of tests what makes you think you would pass it?
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 4:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• lady j, that is why she said it is a fantasy, it would never happen because who would determine who passes.
    Anonymous

• "gdiamante. If they had those kinds of tests what makes you think you would pass it? "

I might not! And you might not either.

As I said..it's a fantasy.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• There are people waiting in line to adopt newborns.
    Anonymous

• You are very insightful to highlight that this argument is often a cynical propaganda slogan. Because many time the person who seems to be so concerned about unwanted children would be just as much pro-abortion withOUT that reason.

In our society today, it is tremendously easy to get rid of children you don't want. Perhaps in past decades a mom would be too embarrassed about what her community would think of her to give her baby to an agency for adoption. But that really is not the case now.

I am not saying that every pregnant mother must be denied an abortion, but this argument is a very insubstantial one.

Actually, I cannot think of any GOOD reasons for abortion unless the mother's life is truly threatened.

I don't like the abortion issue to be a matter of law, since that brings out the shrill objection of a woman's autonomy ... but then again, the death of a baby 2 seconds after birth is covered by laws ... hmm
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Must be abortion day. It doesn't matter if you don't like abortion. It's legal. It's also no one's business if a woman gets one. It's sickening to watch women tear each other to shreds on this personal issue. If you don't agree with it, don't have one. But don't think it's okay to force your beliefs down everyone else's throat. It's gotten old.
    Anonymous

• " doesn't it seem that a lot (if not the majority) of unwanted children were intentionally made by irresponsible or dilusional parents? Your opinion?"

Well the easy answer is that when you intentionally have sex, you're intentionally doing something that makes babies.

I guess some are delusional that their birth control is a 100% effective, when none are, but common society doesn't help that....they tout condoms like they're fantastic, but real-life success of them is only 80%
    Anonymous

There sure are. There are people waiting in line to adopt perfect, healthy white newborns. Unfortunately for them, most unwanted babies do not fit this description. They are physically or mentally handicapped, either through natural chance or mother's prenatal substance abuse. Some of them are non-white, further lessening their chances in the adoption lottery. Most of them are no longer newborns, and have been in foster care since birth or were removed from abusive or neglectful birth parents.
    On the other hand, if adoption were not so incredibly expensive, many people would adopt these unwanted, forgotten children, but the people with hearts big enough to properly, lovingly parent these children do not have $200K or more to spend to adopt them.
    Anonymous