Should I kick my boss off Facebook as my friend?

When he found me- he sent a friend request.I did not accept it because of the simply fact he is my boss. & I prefer to keep a healthy balance with my work and personal life.Well, I thought I was hinting and being nice when I did not either accept or ignore him…. well sure enough after about a month of no responses- he actually had the balls to ask me at work, in my office, why I hadn’t accepted him! Out of pure pressure, I ended up accepting the invite! Now, I walk in the office every morning only to listen to his stupid comments he has to say about my pictures (especially those high school pictures of like of 10 years ago I didn’t even post!).Do you think I should give him the boot today? I figure,why not on a on a Friday since I don’t have to see or talk to him until Monday & if I do decide to boot him and he asks me on Monday why? What should I say? This guy thinks he owns me or something!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you are uncomfortable about the whole thing then I would. If he asks why then tell him that you want to keep your private life seperate. He should respect that. IF he doesnt then thats on him. Just remember your job should NEVER be in jeopardy for a FB page
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Nope, you can't make another facebook account, I have 2 one that I let my work people on one that is just friends, you might have some drama if you give him the boot. You can just post stupid stuff on the "pretend one" like So happy to go to work today! There was a big article in Readers Digest about this exact subject! It is easy to do, and easy to invite all the people you want and then make it private!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:32 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Ya...sounds like a boot is in order...if he asks just say you realize now that its best to keep your personal and professional life seperate...hehe or you can blame it on your cat...good luck! he sounds like a real gem
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:33 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• "I prefer to keep a healthy balance with my work and personal life."

This is ALL you need to say. And stand firm on that period at the end! GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I would look for an article that talks about keeping business and personal seperate. Sen him an email that says...your getn the boot. Attach article and tell him it freaked you out and you know he would never use it against you but you are kicking off business people and setting it to private. Atleast then you are being straight forward and he doesnt have to discover it and bring it up.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I would have never done that, work is work when it comes to work outside the house.

My work at home is different though.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 4:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• That can really cause issues. I have 2 one for work and another from former co-workers. You need to be careful what you say if you need future references. Make it private. I heard a story of medical students posting information about patients, they got fired.  He had no right to insist. Maybe you can suspend your account for a while until they cool off.  I would call that Internet strip search.

Help707

Answer by Help707 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• You can restrict his access, rather than defriend him

Answer by rkoloms at 6:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I have a rule Don't Facebook your mom or your boss lol.
    I'm not sure if you realize it but you can make it to where you hide certain parts of your profile to certain people. Just go to your pictures you don't want him to see. It will say something like "who can view these pictures" it also has an everyone except these people option. Click that and make it so he can't see them. He won't know the difference and you'll have your privacy. I personally don't think bosses should put you in that position. Sounds like a HR issue to me!
    Anonymous