How can I get my 20 month old from being so clingy. He's fine as long as I'm on the sofa and he has full access but once I start doing anything else, he whines and pulls at my clothes. I'm really tired of being stuck in one place!!!

BlakesMomma118

Asked by BlakesMomma118 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Redirect, distract and delay. There is nothing wrong with setting rules and telling him, "Not now." Yeah, he'll whine a bit. The music of motherhood! **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 4:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• my little one is like that. I've learned to give her things todo similar to what i am doing. If i am doing my homework - she is doing "her homework" and coloring. If i am cooking i give her a slice of bread and let her butter it. it keeps her distracted and she licks the butter off the bread LOL. Laundry she puts the clothes in the washer dryer, vaccuuming she picks up all the things off the floor before mommy sucks them up. cleaning the bathroom she gets to use the brush in the toliet and wipe the front of cabinets off with a wash cloth.

distracting is the easiest way for me and she is also learning to do chores. when she gets bored she runs off and plays leaving me to do it alone :)
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• must work with girls, but I have yet to figure out anything that works with my 23 month old son - he has zero interest in coloring or TV OR playing by himself -he will whine and actually stand there and wait for me to finish whatever I am doing like if he says Mommy play cars ; I say well mommy has to clean the kitchen, you can go play and mommy will come when she's done - he will whine and or just stand there and wait til I am finished, if I am sitting on the couch he pulls me up -MOMMY UP- play with max -he ALWAYS has my attention in the morning for 2 hours, after work for 3 hours and all day everyday on the weekends plus he's at grandmas and part time daycare ata center for socializing - very routine every week, we do charts about where he's going, what he'll bve doing, we have fun - nothing - just clingy
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Mine does that but she is 13 months...guess it is never going to end, lol
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 12:49 AM on Oct. 17, 2009