Is this a phase or my daughter's personality?

She will be 4 in Dec. & has gotten to where if we discipline her or slightly raise our voice for anything, she gets upset. It is like she has gotten really sensitive to it. She will take off running & crying to her room. And she gets really upset if we try to discipline her in front of others! And sometimes she will do something funny in front of a group & when we all laugh she gets upset & cries. I guess she doesn't understand that we are not laughing at her! How can I help her with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• It is just part of growing up for them. They are embarassed or overwhelmed and they don't know how to handle the emotion so they get upset. It is normal and will slowly stop-as they learn to deal with new emotions. Both of my kids started it around the age of 3 now at almost 5 and 3 and 1/2 they have stopped for the most part. They will occasionaly cry if they catch us watching them if they are dancing or something-it is bc they are embarassed.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 4:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2009