Im not sure if my daughter has the flu or not....

My 11 month daughter has been sick going on 3 weeks!!! Runny nose and cough, for the first two weeks. This week she has been really lethargic. She feels really hot but is not sweating, I took her temp but our only thermometer is broken. She is normally a really happy, outgoing, always smiling, and giggling. Now I’m lucky if I can keep her up to eat for the most part. I’m starting to freak out, a mother knows her child, Right?
I called her doctor, but nobody has called back, I just don’t know what to do....

Bratch1707

Asked by Bratch1707 at 4:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 3wks? she should see a dr. urget care/afterhours pediatics...the ER...3wks is WAY TOO LONG!
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Take her in. Calling and talking to a nurse won't give the doctor a good idea of what is going on. Either go into your regular doctor's office and ask to be seen between patients, or go into a walk-in clinic if you have one. It could be minor, or it could be important. You won't know until the doctor sees her.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Call the doctor again. Make sure she drinks lots of fluid. If the doctor doesn't call back take her in. She sounds sick, I'm not sure if it's the flu, but i would take her to see the doctor, it sounds like an infection of some sort.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I took her to the doctors last week for a major diaper rash, it ended up being a yeast infection. But they didnt check anything else. I figured it was a cold. Now shes crying at the drop of a dime.

Bratch1707

Answer by Bratch1707 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Still has major diarrhea, I'm going through a box of diapers a week!!

Bratch1707

Answer by Bratch1707 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Major diarrhea is enough alone to warrant an ER visit for an infant. They dehydrate really fast. You should be very concerned about the diarrhea and the lethargy. Your baby needs to see a dr today.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• So the nurse just called me back from her doctors office, they told me just to keep giving her fluids, and to call back tomorrow, because apparently they are all going home!!! Do I wait until tomorrow and call them back or just go to the ER? Sorry I'm a first time mom, I feel like im crying wolf with her.

Bratch1707

Answer by Bratch1707 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• If they can get you in tomorrow then great. If it's Monday take her to the ER or urgent care.
    Anonymous

• my kids had swine flu. most a+ flu is swine right now. my kids are older so they could tell me that they ache. all they had was a fever ache and headache. my older kids were given TAMIFLU medicine to get the symptoms over swiftly because we could not afford to put my 4 week old at risk. babies are in a very dangerous catergory when it comes to the flu. I know doctors are costly but honestly, i used my food money for the month and went. my babys lives are priceless. thankfully there were churches in the area that give free food in cases like these. we went to 3 churches and have plently of food for the month. you have to find a way to get that baby to the dr. insist the doctor test for flu and tell you haw to handle it if she does have flu. be ready to be in hospital possibly. I hope she does not have it.
    LuiggiValentin

Answer by LuiggiValentin at 5:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• if u can afford, i would deffinately take baby to hospital nif i were u.
    LuiggiValentin

Answer by LuiggiValentin at 6:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2009