Do you see anything wrong with giving a toy kitchen to a boy as a Christmas present?

My 2 year old loves the one at his daycare and I was thinking of buying him one for Christmas. My 4 year old would even like it because he likes to "help" me wash the dishes and I figure this way he pretend without making a mess in the kitchen with water and bubbles everywhere. Their dad says no. I said why? He said because they are boys! He gets on my nerves so much sometimes!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Does your husband not eat? lol

I think little boys absolutely should have a chance to enjoy a toy kitchen. My friend and I were just talking about this on our walk the other day. She's an administrator at a day care and she says ALL the boys love pretend cooking just as much as the girls and that it was a shame that the fathers frown upon it. We agreed that it's a shame every child can't have their own. My kids played with theirs for YEARS and I have it saved, hoping for grandkids someday. (My kids are 23, 18 and 15)

Actually, I will go a step further and say that I personally think little boys should get to have a baby doll too. After all, most of them will be dads someday AND they would enjoy an opportunity to emulate their own dads. And you know, maybe as young men, they would be more comfortable parenting their own kids instead of looking upon it as "babysitting"
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 6:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I don't see one single thing with giving it to him.
    auroragold

Answer by auroragold at 4:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Tell your husband that playing with a kitchen will not make his boy a sissy, and it could lead to his being a multi-millionaire. There are some mighty famous and quite wealthy male chefs and they are very manly men.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• We got one for my daughter and my son plays with it just as much as she does. I say go for it. My hubby does not have issue with it. It is fun for everyone.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 4:58 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I see nothing wrong with it - I'd even get them little personalized aprons and chefs hats.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:58 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Unless you want your boys to think cooking is a "womans job" I would say it's just fine...LOL I would buy one for my son if he seemed to want it.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 4:58 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Good idea Nanny! Hell's kitchen IS his favorite show, maybe they could be the next chef Ramsey!
    Anonymous

• NO. Most cooks in resturants are men, right? But since he has one at the daycare you could buy him something else and that should make every one happy.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• and I like the idea of personalized aprons and chef hats!
    Anonymous

• Absolutely not! The restaurant/chef world is strongly strongly strongly dominated by men. No worries, as long as the kitchen isn't drowning in pink or anything xP
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2009