want to breastfeed but nipples BURN !!!

I think i might be able to produce enough milk if i could handle the pain. My baby is 1 month old. I have breastfed up till now with suppliment of formula. The pain comes after the baby has fed for 17 min. He should feed longer but the pain is too great. so i take him off. The burning is crazy. I got through the normal pains of starting of breastfeeding. the soreness and the tenderness and my nipples even bled this time. got through all that and now they BURN !!!! daughter was fed till she was 1 year no troubles) I know how the baby should latch... and i know to let hem feed all the time he wants, is just the pain is too much. I can only handle it for 30 min each side. more than that and i am in tears. i have used lanolin .. no help. baby is super gassy and cries a lot now that i have had him on straight formula for 2 days. 2 days of no sleep for me. also his bowl movements have slowed to 2 X per day.

LuiggiValentin

Asked by LuiggiValentin at 4:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The burning says thrush to me...tons of info on the links found here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/index.html

Answer by gdiamante at 4:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Sounds like when I had thrush with my daughter. Call your OB and they can get you cream to put on it and it makes it better quickly. You will also have to treat your child for they have it in their mouth. Also you can get gentaviolet (sp?) From the pharmancy over the counter and that will make it better too.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 5:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• You have thrush and it only gets worse if you don't get it treated. It can feel like liquid fire when you nurse. Call your dr right away and get some Diflucan. You also need to get the genitian violet and start treating your baby today. You can ask the pharmacist for at any pharmacy. It doesn't require a prescription, but they keep it behind the counter.

Also, you need to wash all of your towels and bras as usual, but put in one cup of white vinegar in the rinse cycle to kill the yeast or you will keep reinfecting yourself.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• The advice above is great! Thrush! Also, the baby is gassy and cries a lot because you are supplementing with formula.
    Gaia_Rain

Answer by Gaia_Rain at 6:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• You're all probably right about the thrush, but I had the same sort of thing at about 4 weeks, I wouldn't say it ever brought me to tears, but it would kind of burn, I think it was the worst when my milk would let down. Anyway, it just went away on its own after a week or two. Also, try to stop supplementing ASAP or you really won't have enough, because your body will think it doesn't need to make as much!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 7:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Thrush which is very treatable, baby probably has it too. Check out that kellymom.com site for help. Also if you contact the doctor they usually phone in a script without a visit. I hope you feel better soon (you will)!

Anonymous

• GOD! That was painful! I agree, THRUSH! Ok so this is what I did after I did all the wrong things. I stopped eating foods with sugar and carbs. (This made me lose all the baby weight in 2 weeks) Then with a cotton swab I dabbed the nipple with vinegar. It's very little and baby won't taste it at all.

My cousin also suggested rinsing nipple with Cepacol. It's a mouthwash. That cured it faster than the previous suggestion. Within a few days pain was gone, but I had to continue even after the pain cuz I would stop and it would come back. Took about a month of figuring things out until I finally felt pain-less after nursing.

But GOD that was painful. Comparable to labor!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:55 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• definately thrush....if you cant take the pain of breastfeeding until you can get it treated, try pumping...it's not nearly as bad and will help keep your supply up....if you dont have a pump, you can do like i had to for two days and "milk yourself", aka manually express the milk, into a bottle.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 7:49 PM on Oct. 17, 2009