Adoption

When I was 18 I put my son up for adoption in 1987 (he was born 1986), now 23 years later I would like to start searching for him but I have no idea how to get started. I do not remember the name of the adoption agency who handled it. The only thing I have is his name at birth, place of birth, and date of birth. Its not a lot to go on. Does any one have any suggestions?

revmorgan

Asked by revmorgan at 5:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Adoption

• thats crazy. why did you put him up for adoption? :( ... you should definatly look for him. go We tv website, i think its wetv.com and look for the show the locator. write to him. you never know.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• You can register on adoption.com for reunion. I know there are others and some other moms will post them. Good luck and don't listen to people questioning your decision 23 years ago. You don't owe anyone an explanation. There are adoption reunions on here as well. Do a search and other moms will point you in the right direction.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Thanks doodlebopfan
    revmorgan

Answer by revmorgan at 9:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• What state was the birth/adoption done in? As a start I would see if you, as the birth mother, can request a copy of the OBC (original birth certificate) - in WA they see that certificate as belonging to the birth parents and will release a copy for a nominal fee. This would be a huge GIFT to your son who most likely will never be able to request a copy - unless you are in Oregon.

At 18, I can understand why you may not remember the name of the agency. I was 19 (20 when I relinquished my daughter). Do you have any sense of whether or not the agency was affiliated with any particular religious denomination? That could narrow it down. If the agency is still in business that would be a really great thing to figure out. Did you ever physically go to the agency? Do you have any sense of physically where they were located in the city.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adoption_reunion_registry

ISSR is a must (see link)
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2009