What now?

I've recently experienced a life-changing event. Prior to this event I was agnostic. I wasn't opposed to the idea of a God...I just wasn't sure.

This life-changing event is a very tragic one. It involves the murder of a close loved one at the hands of someone who was also close to me.

After experiencing this how am I supposed to believe in a God? How am I supposed to understand or be at peace with His plan? I'm asking questions everyday to try to make sense of what happened. I've also tried praying. Nothing happened. Where is this God? What am I supposed to do now?

I'm not trying to be rude to believers. I'm just really trying to understand all of this and why after praying, nothing has happened.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the pain you're going through. God gave us all free will. Unfortunately, some people use that free will to choose to do horrible things. God is very good and loving, but there is also the opposite, Satan. I'm not sure if you're praying for answers, healing or what. I do know that God does answer us. I used to never get answers to my prayers. Or at least that's what I thought. Then I started to really pay attention and sure enough there He was, answering me and listening to me. I think you should keep praying. I'll pray for you too if you would like. Take care of yourself and again I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Im very sorry for all this mess,but i wanna be honest with you,my question is why do people blame God for everything? If someone smokes all their lives and dies from cancer ,its God'a fault, If you drink and drive and crash and die poeple say its God's fault .why didnt he save them? God is not forceful he can not give account for our doings,he loves us but its the same when you watch your 18 year make a reck of their lives,what can you do? besides hope that their doings dont get them into more mess,i cant give account for what my kids doings,how can i? if my kid wants to beat someone up and he breaks their nose? is it my fault??? he knows its not right i have taught him it isnt,but what he does once he is out my hands is on him.How do you know what God tried to do to stop what happened? you dont but yet that person chose out of their own will to do something horrible,do you really think God wanted them to do it? no
    Anonymous

• Littlebit - Thank you for your response. I am praying for anything and everything. I am praying for guidance more than anything. What do you mean that he was answering you? How did he answer you? If it's too personal to answer I understand. I'm just trying to understand what others experienced. Thank ou again
    Anonymous

• God can answer in many different ways. There are some weeks when I'm really struggling with something. Maybe an issue with one of my children or a family member. I'll go to mass on Sunday and when the priest talks, it addresses my issue. Almost like he's speaking directly to me. That's happened on many occasions. My dh will sometimes lean over and say "God's talking to you again". One night I was in the shower and thinking about one of my dd's. We had been having a very, very hard time with her for months (come to find out she's bipolar and adhd). Anyway, I was just done. I'm in the shower talking to myself saying "fine, I'm so done with her. I'll let dh deal with her. In fact, I won't even talk to her anymore. He can put her to bed, etc." I was so furious.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Cont'd..

All of a sudden this voice came into my head and said "I didn't abandon YOU when you didn't like me." I knew right away it was God because for years I hadn't listened to Him, hadn't gone to church etc. Plus this enormous feeling came over me. Just overwhelming emotion. You know what I said? "Yes sir". Lol! Things like that. There are more, but too many to list.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Anon 2:42 - Where in my question did I place blame on God? I'm not even sure if I believe in Him, so how could I place blame on Him? It was not my intention to do that, so if it came across as such then I apologize.

God has a plan for all of us, no? I am only wondering how to find peace with this horrific plan of His. I am also wondering why, after I've prayed, He has not answered me. In fact life has only become harder and more of a struggle since I've prayed. What am I missing?

Anonymous

• we need to remember that satan is the ruler of this world for now. he is the one causing so much bad in this world.

1 John 5:19

19We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.

Revelation 12:9

9And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

King James Version (KJV)

Revelation 12:12

12Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 6:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Life has become harder and more of a struggle because you are attempting to get closer to God. The devil will mess with you to try and tear you away from God. He'll continue to do this for awhile. Don't let him stop you. Keep talking to God.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 6:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I say, the answer is there in front of you. IF that answer is "nothing" or a blank slate; then start there. Maybe the non answer, is your answer.
    I am so sorry for this tragedy in your life....it is a horrible thing to deal with; I can only imagine.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Honey, don't lie to your heart. If your heart is leading you to the path of atheism, then by all means, hop on over to our side. I'm very sorry for your loss. You have a lot of soul-searching to do, now and in the future. If you are hellbent and determined to keep your religion and faith, then by all means, pick up a bible and go to church and talk to those who you need to talk to. But seriously, don't force yourself to do something if you don't TRULY want to do it. Many people throughout the ages have been atheists, and have led full, happy, wonderful lives. Like you said, you are agnostic, and that means you are not closed off to the possibility of atheism. If you want to talk, you know where to find me.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:04 PM on Oct. 16, 2009