would your microchip your cat?

I never thought many people microchip their catss- i don't know anyone who does- until I read this article on the chicken soup for the pet lover's soul website that said over 3.5 million pets get chipped every year! Have any of you done it? What do you think about it?

here is the article in case anyone is interested: http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/pet_care/cats/health_and_behavior/22/

DCchick06

Asked by DCchick06 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Pets

• I would do it and plan on getting a kitty soon and will microchip it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I microchipped our cat.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 6:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Our cat is micro-chipped. He's fixed and spends 85% of his time inside. But he does go out and will either go over our 6' fence or he'll scale the exterior patio gate (7.5 feet tall). So he does spend some time rambling around in the wee hours of the morning. We've bought about 6 collars for him - and he's lost every one and lost his license with the first collar (break-away collar) we put on him. If he didn't have the microchip and should anything ever happen to him, we'd never know. At least with the microchip there is a way to find him, identify him and get him back should something unfortunate ever happen.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 6:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• P.S. All of our pets are micro-chipped. Wouldn't have it any other way.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 6:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• yes. also if you live on a military base it is manditory:)
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 6:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• All of my animals are tattooed and Microchipped
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• mine is...the shelters/humane societies around here (ohio) now microchip all their adoptive pets and include it with the adoption fee. I don't know what it would cost otherwise, but I don't think it's much and your local vet should be able to do it. I think it's very important and it makes it very easy for the shelters to find owners in case your pet gets lost (they automatically check for microchips on any animal brought in).
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I think it is about $50 dollers for the vet to insert it. I would call around because i am sure some places are cheaper then that.  They do not need to put under to have it done. Most animals do not react when it is done, None of mine did. and it is 14 dollers to have your information registered which is a must.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• mine was 55

i have one cat chipped and one cat with a collar and tag
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• our dog is microchipped and tattooed, but the cat we have now is not. he used to be an indoor only cat, but when medication couldn't help his violent behavior anymore, we kicked him out. we have enough trouble getting him into the vet's office to get shots, there's no way we'd subject him to getting the microchip. he can't be sedated because he has had adverse reactions to them. but we figure if anyone is stupid enough to steal him any try to make him a house cat again, they deserve what he will dish out to them! (btw, he is a GREAT cat now that he lives outside!! i actually like him and he purrs for us now, which he never did before!)
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2009