How effective is a membrane sweep

i had a membrane sweep yesterday i am between 2-3 cent dialated and my cervix is soft does anyone know how effective it is or if it worked for them?

blakesmom11223

Asked by blakesmom11223 at 5:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it didnt work for me at all, in fact i was induced lol
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:52 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• It didn't work for me either. I went for about 3 more days before I finally went into labor! Even then, they gave me Pitocin to speed up the contractions because my water had already broke and they didn't want me to go for long because of the risk of infection.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 6:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Like other interventions to induce, the closer mom already is to labor, the more effective.

If a mom is already teetering on the brink of labor then it's likely to work... but no rule or law that says it will for sure.

Because of the risk of accidental AROM or infection, it doesn't seem too worth it if the body was already going into labor, imo.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:42 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• everyone is different my firied had hers dine at 39 and 40 wks and ended up beind induced at 41 wks
    i had mine dine at 38 wks and went into lbaor 3 hrs later had her the next day. i was 4cm and 75:effaced
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• i actually had the baby the night i posted this so i guess it worked but thanks all
    blakesmom11223

Answer by blakesmom11223 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 21, 2009