I don't really feel like a mom yet...

I love her to death, love being a mom, love doing things for her, even the 3 am feedings, lol. I love all of this and am over the moon happy... but I feel like I'm just taking care of my baby sister (when she was a baby) or this could just be babysitting... I don't really FEEL like I'm a mommy except that I know everything wrong with her all the time and I know when she is crying or even about to cry. Is this normal? Am I weird?

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 6:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i felt the same way till my dd called me mommy she is 7 months now
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I did not feel like a mom till i had my 2nd baby. think was my age. reguardless, took me 2 1/2 years. now i feel that i am nothing but a mom. everything is 2nd to mom status. my babies are 14, 12 and 1 month..
    LuiggiValentin

Answer by LuiggiValentin at 6:12 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• It takes awhile to feel that way. Wait until she calls you mommy and then you'll def. feel like one. Took me awhile to also.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 6:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Its normal. You just need to get used to it.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 6:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. My daughter is 5 months and I'm still like wow I have a baby. I look in my back seat and see the car seat and blankies and its just wierd to me that I'm really a mommy.
    Colie68

Answer by Colie68 at 6:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I didnt feel like a mommy til my son was about two. when they really start talking and learning different things. and you are the one thats teaching them all these things. its crazy how quick they learn and catch on to certain things. one day she'll call you mommy and it seems like the very next day she's asking when she can start school. its amazing how time flies!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 7:42 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I have been wondering the same thing? Did you have a C-section? I did, and they say its normal. But Its just weird. Im glad Im not the only one!! :)
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• The first time I felt like a mom was her 2 month old shots. When she cried, I cried harder. That was MY KID in pain. That is when it hit me.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• haha. I felt that way too. I'd go in public without her and think 'wow, I'm a mom. I'm someone's mother out shopping and no one would ever know that just looking at me.' Now I do and she's 7 mos, precisely b/c of all those 3 am feedings and all those times I"ve had to rush out from work to pick her up from daycare b/c she was sick.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 9:58 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• It got more concrete for me when my son started preferring me to other people. And then the hugs and kisses and "I love you's"...and how he'll come to ME for a hug whenever he's upset, even if it's because of something I said or did...and how he wants ME to kiss his boo-boos better... As they get older, it gets easier to picture yourself in that role. At least for me, it's been much more gradual than I expected, rather than the baby's born -- poof! you're a mom! kind of feeling.

When SHE starts thinking of you as mommy instead of (or perhaps in addition to) someone who takes care of her, you'll start thinking of yourself that way more easily. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2009