would this offend you?

Say you were in Walmart with your baby in one of those infant carrier car seats. Now imagine a person came up to you and told you you had a beautiful child and asked how old he/she was. Now say that person asked you "is it ok with you if I offer you a safety tip about the car seat?" and if given your permission reminded you that it is dangerous to put toys on the handle of the car seat or maybe reminded you to place the chest clip at armpit level. I am asking this because I am going to be taking a class very soon to get certified as a child passenger safety technician and I really really want all children to as safe as possible in the car but at the same time I don't want to be rude or sound condescending I am not talking about being pushy about erf or anything like that. I do understand that each parent has a right to make that decision on their own.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• The way you describe it, no I don't think I'd be offended. I am always willing to listen when it comes to my child's safety. I think you'd be wise to pay close attention to the person you are talking to. If they don't seem friendly when you first approach talking about how beautiful the baby is, the parent may not be receptive to you. Also, keep in mind that new moms are the ones most likely to have their baby in the seat and tend to be sensitive and over tired. If you encounter a cranky new mom, try to remember how stressful that time is and don't take it too personally.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I would appreciate safety tips like that. I don't see the harm in it.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 6:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• If I saw a presentation set up at the WalMart in the baby section - I would certainly stop and watch. It's been 20 years since my baby was a baby - and who knows I could be a grandma soon. I would certainly appreciate the information being presented, but you might have problems if you just went up to strangers and started pointing out that they're doing wrong. I'd suggest taking some classes in marketing and public speaking as well. Couldn't hurt, right. You have WONDERFULLY USEFUL information that needs to be put out there - done right it will be very well received.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 6:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Even when the intentions are good, some people take offense to things! So asking first if they would mind a few safety tips would probably be a good idea. I know if I was out in public and someone asked me nicely if they could offer some tips, I would gratefully oblige! But for those who take things personal, they can say no, even if it would be a good idea to say yes!
    Anonymous

• It's always good to give advice to people who are not being as safe as they could with their babies - and your intentions are good, but don't be surprised if you get some "don't tell me how to look after my own baby!!"
    Anonymous

• I'm not trying to sound rude ... if it;s unsafe to have toys attached to the car seat why do they make toys designed just for that??? not try to sound rude or snotty i've never heard that ... i mean there are tons of toys at walmart that attach to the handle why would they make something thats dangerous and not recall it???
    Anonymous

• OP-Its not the toys that are dangerous.Putting toys on the handle encourages parents to leave the handle up when you are the car so your baby can play with them. It is the handle that is dangerous because in that position because it will impact the seat of the car if you wreck. It is perfectly fine to use toys when you are not driving however.
    Anonymous

• I dont take offense at all at people offering advice to me. But if I were the type of person that did take offense and you asked BEFOREHAND if you could offer your advice, I dont see why anybody would take offense to the things you have to say. I run my mouth all the time to people because I would hate to see something unsafe (PERFECT EXAMPLE... carseat straps too loose or the clasp too low) and not say anything and then later find out that baby was in a deadly accident becuase of not being properly secured in its safety seat
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• It's been a long time since mine were babies but I had my first son at 18 and I'm sure I made a lot of mistakes. I would never have taken offense to someone giving me safety advice.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I'm sure some would be offended no matter what. I don't think it sounds rude. I actually didn't think about the toys on the handles thing. I have the handle up when I drive and it says to have it up. I also have it in the center of the back seat because it says its the safest place depending on the type of seats you have. I'd also have to assess the person, first, to see if they are already looking ticked or anything. LOL. If you ask first, then they say yes, I see no problem with it. If you run after them like the dang lady trying to get you to get a Sam's Card....then NO I wouldn't like it. LOL.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2009