Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can peanut allergies start when you are an adult?

I have been breaking out a lot in hives lately all over. I thought at first it was the new Bounce dryer thing I was using(the bar that you stick in the dryer and it lasts for 2 months), but now I am not so sure. I took it out yesterday and rewashed all my work uniforms, but I still broke out again last night while I was at work. The only other thing I have been doing differently is I have been eating peanuts as snacks at work just about every night. Could this be the cause? Should I make an appointment with the doctor?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Health

Answers (5)
  • allergies can begin at any age

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

  • yes, mine did. at first my throat got itchy, but after childbirth it got worse. now i have to carry and epi pen. your regular family Dr should be able to test you, i would quit eating hem until i found out, if it is a peanut allergy it could turn anaphylactic anytime.


    Answer by BandME at 9:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

  • sorry about the crappy spelling, my keys are sticking:)

    Answer by BandME at 9:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

  • What is more likely than developing a peanut allergy as an adult is that you've always had it and just now noticed a reaction. And it might not even be the peanuts. I have a long list of food allergies, and none of the foods I'm allergic to have I ever even heard as being allergic foods before. I can eat something I'm allergic to and maybe just get a runny nose, but then occasionally I may get a rash or my throat may swell. Food allergies are very tricky. My allergist says think of it like legos. You eat one thing or even two that you are allergic to and it's like one or two legos and you may not even notice a reaction, but if you eat 4 or more allergic foods in one week they stack up like lego blocks and can lead to serious reactions.

    Making an appointment with a regular dr won't help you. Go ahead and get in to see an allergist and get tested to be sure.

    Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

  • ^^^^^my family Dr was able to test me in office for several common allergens and it saved a lot of money. they were even able to provide allergy serum and injections for my other allergies, saves a specialist copay if your insurance works like that.

    Answer by BandME at 12:32 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.