Counselor/therapist question...

Hello all you helpful ladies out there! "Dear Abby" time again! For those of you who have had successful counselor/therapist experiences, what would you suggest as the main thing to look for as far as a good match goes. Ofcourse I know to go w/my instinct but I don't want to be too judgemental or too picky either... If you got an iffy impression the first visit would you try again or keep looking? There were more positives than negatives and I hate having to keep starting all over...So besides just following your gut do you have any specific input on this? I appreciate it very much! Thanks!

momrocks1000

Asked by momrocks1000 at 7:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• You have to look for a counselor that you are comfortable with. That you feel you can trust and that takes atleast 2 or 3 sessions. You need a counselor that will help you to help yourself. It is not a counselor's job to fix your problems, it is their job to give you the skills to help yourself. It is not necessary for the counselor to be the same religion or faith as you, some won't even tell you that information. A good counselor will be one that shows they are interested in your issues, that remembers things you tell them. If you mention that you are in a wedding the following Saturday, they will ask how that wedding went. A good counselor helps you to see your strengths, even when you may not think there are any. A good counselor takes the time to get to know you as a person, not just as a client with a problem. A good counselor, concentrates on you and only you during your session.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• When looking for a therapist, I looked for one that was a Christian so she held my same values and beliefs. Since I was going to be dealing with a past abusive relationship, I wanted a woman (I still have trust issues with men). I also looked for one that believed in therapy and not drugs. I had a traumatic life; a pill wasn't going to fix that.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:12 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• If I give you my husband for a month, you will know what you want in life & what you don't want in life.
    Anonymous

• To Anon: Huh??? I'm not looking for a man I'm looking for a therapist but thank you as always for that wonderful anonymous advice about how to get what I want "out of life" (?). Honestly, why do they bother?
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 8:09 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I agree with ThrivingMom. I first looked for a Christian counsellor. If you are looking for therapy for yourself, I would suggest finding a woman. If you are going as a couple your DH might be more comfortable with a man (this way he can't accuse the counsellor of taking your side because it is a female) Other than that after once session you will pretty much know whether or not you care for them. I will say this, I had a great Christian counsellor, but my poor friend didn't have such a wonderful experience. Her CC actually told her she'd suffered from a miscarriage as a punishment from God for her actions! Definitely not a way to create a convert, lol!
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2009