Laid off and Desperate in Chicago... Where can I turn? Who is hiring? Help!

I just moved in with my BF (UGH!) because I was laid off and I could no longer afford the rent! I never thought I would have to move in so so soon!!! Its crazy, but the only thing I receive is unemployment and it only covers my bills and although my BF does not support me financially, I do have two of my three daughters living here as well, and I feel that he might not appreciate that we might be making his bills higher, like the light and gas...the building is his, which is a blessing, but I am frustrated that he does not offer to help me with my expenses or at least help me with my girls...He spends no money on us absolutely at all! But his demeanor says alot, like he always makes it a point to mention how much his grocery bill has gone up or how he has to regulate the heater and turn it off during the day and the lights... This bothers me, But I am so trying!!! What ever I have left over I do purchase things for us all!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• The unemployment rate in Chicago is over ten percent. It is brutal here! Do you have an up to date Linkedin profile? Chicago has lots of great networking and unemployment support groups. The CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group has tons of great ideas: http://www.cafemom.com/group/jobhuntingmoms  . Are you using one of the meta-search sites to comb the job boards, like Indeed or Simply Hired? I do career and job search coaching; please contact me if you have any questions. Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 7:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I'm sorry about you being laid off. My DH was laid off back in March. I know what you're going through. Have you ever thought about working from home? I am a stay at home Mom to a 2 year old and 7 month old. I work with a great team of Moms; we help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! WEEKLY PAY! FREE website, training, and UNLIMITED support!! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS. The best part is I can make money and be with my Family!!!
    You can have the best of both worlds too.
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!
    Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Check out my website
    http://www.4MyFamilyandMe.com/
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 7:25 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I dont what I can offer except a way to make extra money. It's totally legit.

The only thing I can say about your BF is that thats all he is.

As a husband it would be different. He is not responsible for you or your girls.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/84490/forums/read/10039258/_Private_Business_Reception

Are you doing the chores around the house? What about your kids? Are they respecting his space?

I cant say that im rich, but I make enough right now with what I do to keep up. Good Luck.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 7:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• omg... anyway... sounds like you guys aren't on the same page when it comes to your relationship or your children. He wanted a friend with benefits and enjoyed is seclusion and alone time, and you have a family and need a man who can step up- this is NOT that man. I don't know what to tell you about your job situation, but I certainly think you need to be looking for another partner... one who actually WANTS you and your babies around. good luck
    6under1roof

Answer by 6under1roof at 7:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I've helped a lot of people earn extra money lately who have been laid off. Why don't you sell Avon on the side to make more money. Usually it won't interfere with your unemployment unless you make quite a bit at it! You can start for just $20 and even have your girls help you out. www.start.youravon.com use reference code dhullum or email me for questions on getting started. Best of luck to you!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 9:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• This is not a scam! lets talk i'd love to tell you more

HI,
    I'm happily engaged and we are about to buy our first home. We live in a small town where it is really hard to find a decent job, so I've been searching for a way to work at home. I recently found a home-based opportunity with no large investments and no risk! I work in the comfort of my own home with an international, 24 year old, Inc 500 company. All I do is set up customer accounts and do some online marketing. I work around my own schedule, with a group of amazing team members. I never even have to leave my own home to be successful!

If this is something you'd be interested in, please visit my website.

www.workathomeunited.com/lynsey

I think that once you hear more information about the company, you'll love it just as much as I do!

I hope to hear from you soon :)
    lynsey7

Answer by lynsey7 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• It sounds like you need to move in with family and ditch the jerk of a boyfriend. Sorry, if you really meant anything to him, he would be helping you out, not making things worse. Everyone goes through rough times and needs help. Jobs are scarce wherever you go, so you will have to do what you can.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I am in the same situation as you. As if you took the words right out of my mouth.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 10:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Girl, have you thought about a Merchandising job? I say that because I always see jobs open for companies in your area on down to Kankakee and Joliet. Go to www.narms.com.

Click on Jobs/Careers,  go to Search the JobBank,  enter in your State and search for jobs. 

Read my article How to Find Work at Home for You.  I realize it's not exactly a work at home job, but you are home based.  You usually can make your own schedule and it's usually flexible.   If you have any questions, let me know.  I have done this for years!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2009