Changing newborns sleep schedule...

I have a seven week old and he has his days and nights confused. i've done all i can think of to get him to switch but no matter what i do he stills sleeps all day long. he wont wake up for anything all day. sometimes he even skips feedings. idk whatelse to do. i also have a three year old so i cant keep staying up all night and all day too. help!

mommykayti

Asked by mommykayti at 7:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• baby is still very young so it is hard to wake them but... wake the baby every 2 to 3 hrs during day. preferably 2. maybe your 3 yr old can make silly faces or you guys can talk to baby. then around 6:30pm set up a "ritual" so then by 7pm u will have baby in crib already. a routine for every night, lke a bath, book, last feeding and down to bed. about 4 to 5 hrs later, preferably 4 because ur baby is still really young, u nurse him and back to bed then again 4 or 5 hrs later. then by then it will be 6 or 7 and u'll repeat. if u continue this the baby will get use to the routine and know to sleep longer at night and when to wake up. the older the baby gets u can slowly let them sleep longer at night. i started my daughter on a schedule at 1 mth old (she was 5 wk preemie) and i truly believe that it has worked miracles. she is now 1yr no fussing from her cuz she has structure. she is very happy, good luck to you!!
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 2:50 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• so you have put him in a lit room, with noise?

Answer by louise2 at 7:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Yes, I, like Louise am wondering what all you've tried? It will have to be a gradual turn around and if you can find SOMETHING that works you can atleast interrupt his daytime sleep enough times that it eventually starts a new pattern... for instance the only thing that worked when I wanted mine to stay awake (mind you, I did not "schedule" them, but you know, just for things like being engorged and wanting them to nurse on the second side when they fell asleep etc) was to take all of their clothes off. I know it sounds kind of mean and it did work because they hated it but when you are desperate you are desperate! Good luck!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 7:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Oh yes. hes in a lit room with me and my three year old all day long. and trust me my three year old is NOT the quietest!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 7:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• change his diaper, give him baths, rub him with a cold damp rag, change his clothes. play with him, make him laugh, take him for a walk, put him in and out of a front pack- noise isn't going to do it.
    6under1roof

Answer by 6under1roof at 7:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• And not only are we both in the same room as him but we both try to play with him and wake him up and make as much noise as possible. but nothing works. if he even wakes up he just cries and cries and then on top of that i have my three year old yelling at me to make him stop lol.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 7:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• You are probably going to also need to enlist dad to help with one or the other so you can get this done. The sooner the better for your sake - sleep deprivation is the worst! It's why I only have 2 (when I initially wanted more....)!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• It will happen naturally.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• My daughter had her days and nights messed up too. What i did, is I know she would go to bed at 6am after that bottle, I just kept moving her bedtime back a half hour. 6am, 5:30am, 5am, and so on. I would do this every few days or so. She eventually got all the way to 8pm. It took a few weeks but we did it. Now she is in bed at 7:30 and sleeps till 7:30.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:25 PM on Oct. 16, 2009