anyone else have thyroid problems? Please help!

They put me on 112mcg of synthroid a day and I even had to go and get an ultrasound done. Not sure what the ultrasound was about, do you think they suspect cancer or soemthing? The word "goiter" was written on there somewhere.... What does that mean?

any advice on dealing with a thyroid problem. It was so low that I've gained a lot of weight, had thinning hair, mood swings, fatigue..etc etc

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Health

• I have gone through something similar. At 19, I was biopsied 2X for thyroid cancer and it turned out I have what is called a toxic adenoma on my thyroid, basically it shoots out extra thyroid hormone. I had my thyroid radiated (I had to swallow a tiny pill that was radioactive iodine), and it "killed" or inactivated my thyroid. So, now I have to take synthroid, or synthetic thyroid hormone every day. Honestly, it's really not been a big deal. Are you going to an endocrinologist? If not, I would highly suggest you do.

I can't diagnose you obviously, but if you do have a goiter, it is usually from an iodine deficiency and can be easily treated. They might also decide to radiate your thyroid as well, to regulate your levels and then put you on synthroid.

I could go on....my mom also has thyroid issues, so mine is genetic. If you want to talk more, just pm me!

Good luck!
    MagnoliaQueen

Answer by MagnoliaQueen at 8:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I meant to add.......IF you should be tested for thyroid cancer and IF it should come back positive, thyroid cancer is actually a VERY, very treatable cancer and, not to make light of cancer at all, but it's probably one of the "better" ones to have, b/c it hardly every spreads or metastisizes and usually does not even require chemo or anything, they would most likely just remove your thyroid.

Hope that helps.
    MagnoliaQueen

Answer by MagnoliaQueen at 8:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• No, they don't think you have cance. Go to google and type in goiter. When you get done reading about that type in hypothyroidism.

If you have hypothyroidism there are pills you can take to help you have normal levels.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I recently found out my thyroid is over active. I went to the doc for fatigue and joint pain and he sent me for some blood work. My thyroid function was too high so I was sent for a thyroid scan. They had me take a radioactive pill and then 24 hours later they scanned my thyroid. The results were normal but based on my bloodwork and symptoms I was referred to an endocrinologist. Well, I've been waiting more than 2 months now to see the specialist, apparently there are only 2 in my area! So I still don't know what's up. All the research I've done says that over or under active thyroid is easily treated, and like another poster said, even if it's cancer it's one of the "best" ones to get. Worst case scenario is you end up taking a pill for the rest of your life. The ultrasound was probably just to look for nodes, which are sections of thyroid that are out of whack. Bottom line, don't stress. Even the worst is not that bad.
    JerbysMom

Answer by JerbysMom at 10:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2009