pregnant and seasonal flu shot??? do YOU think it's safe???

hey everyone :)
so i'm 3 month pregnant and after long thinking and collecting information i decided NOT to get the H1N1 flue shot.. i just don't wanna risk losing my baby...
BUT now i wonder, is it safe if i get the normal seasonal flu shot???
I'm just sooo worried that i make a wrong decision and harm the baby in what ever i decide.. if i get it, could it kill my baby?? if not..and i get the flu..could that kill my baby?????
i just don't know what to do and would so much appreciate any help and ideas :)

thank u sooo much <3

Mesha22

Asked by Mesha22 at 8:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I honestly really reccomend you get the h1n1 vaccine because you are at high risk of getting it. especiallly if you are working. better be safe than sorry. The vaccines are just dead flu with a small amount of live flu. The only way they can make you sick is if you already have symptoms and get the shot it will bring it on faster.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 8:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I would get the h1n1 shot too. I am on a waiting list for one because I have asthma and other respiratory issues and I am in my 40's, a high risk age group. And for you, being pregnant, it's even more important. The death rate for pregnant women is very high.

The regular flu shot is not a big deal. But then too, the seasonal flu is not nearly as dangerous. Personally, I would get any shot my DOCTOR reccommended. Internet advice is cheap - and worth every penny. (Ironic huh?)

Now, if you flat out refuse to get either shot, I would highly suggest you research all the precautions you can take to protect yourself. like frequent hand washing, not touching your face, keeping a 6-10 foot distance from strangers, etc.

Good luck.
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 8:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• but i heard and read so many bad things about the H1N1 shot and pregnancy..
    1. it hasn't been tested that much
    2.it has tons of mercury in it which is bad if ur pregnant so why do they wanna inject it in u???
    3. causes miscarriage!!! which i am obviously really extremely worried about

but i also know if i should get the swineflu...that could kill the baby and me... understand why i'm so confused and worried...???
    Mesha22

Answer by Mesha22 at 8:42 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I know how you feel, I don't want to get the H1N1 vaccine. I get really sick after even just a flu shot. I don't work and I don't go out much, so with proper precautions I think I'll be fine. If you do go out more often and have a high immune system, I'd think seriously about getting it, or in the very least taking MAJOR precautions.
    .carrie.

Answer by .carrie. at 8:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• If you are worried about you or the baby dying then you should get the H1N1 flu shot. They risks to you and your fetus are tremendous. The World Health Organization has recommended an unadjuvanted H1N1 flu shot for pregnant women. There are no adjuvants in theH1N1 or regular flu shot. Pregnant women are a high priority group because when they get it they are at risk of becoming seriously ill, being hospitalized or dying. There are H1N1 shots available with no preservatives (no mercury).

Here is info from the CDC about both shots

http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1flu/vaccination/pregnant_qa.htm
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• According to the CDC website, they have a version of the H1N1 vaccine without the mercury for pregnant women and small children if you are concerned about the mercury in it.

Last January I got the seasonal flu shot and I was 8 weeks along at that point. I had no adverse effects. Just make sure you get the actual shot, not the nasal mist.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• 2 and 3 on your list are just rumors. Ask your doctor if you are really worried. And as far as not being tested enough. The h1n1 vaccine is almost the same as the regulat flu shot, which changes every year and isn't tested a lot either. Lik any other medicine or vaccine there will be a few people with bad reactions. It is very unlikely you will have any issues. However if you catch the flu or swine flu while you're pregnant it is way worse. Personally I think the benifits outway the risks on this one. Good luck and make the best choice for yourself.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 9:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• The nasal mist is not approved for pregnant women anyways.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 9:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I got the seasonal flu shot when I was pg. I was due in March and during high flu season time it was recommended to me again and again by gynecologists as well as midwives. The only thing we have to go in is medical evidence-- not intuition or a feeling that it's 'just wrong' for some reason. Pregnant woman are in the highest risk groups. I did it and my DD is just fine at 7 mos. I would do it again. I would probably get the H1N1 too, however, my DD had swine flu at 6 mos. and was sick for a week and that was it. It's not as horrific as it sounds.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 9:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• This is my 3rd pregnancy and I already got my seasonal flu shot (nearly a month ago with no troubles). I also got the seasonal flu shot during my other 2 pregnancies.

I haven't made up my mind about the H1N1 vaccine yet.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2009