Picky toothless 1 year old... Please help!

My daughter Janiyah is going to be a year old next month. She still only likes formula and no baby food, not even cereal I think its the texture. So anyways she likes finger foods but she still doesnt have any teath or any sign of teath. I was wondering if anybody has any good feeding suggestions for a 1 year old picky toothless baby. I dont want her only on formula... Its not healthy and I know after a year its suposed to be whole milk and 3 meals a day with snacks in between. Does anybody have any suggestions on meals i could do for my little one Does anybody have a similar situation. If you do i would love to know how you handle it. I am a 1st time mom and a little bit of a pushover lol. Help me out please!!!

JaniyahsMommyxo

Asked by JaniyahsMommyxo at 8:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you steam carrots, broccoli, sweet potatoes and several other veggies they will be easy for her to eat. Pasta is easy for them to eat as long as you cook it long enough. My daughter has 10 teeth, but she is suddenly becoming very picky and it's driving me up the wall. If it was up to her, she'd live off of milk. Good luck, I know it's tough.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I don't know what you mean by finger foods. Many foods can be eaten with fingers. You never have to give commercial baby foods. Milk isn't very healthy. Cows milk is for baby cows. Moo!

There are lots of cook your own babyfood cookbooks and websites. Babies can eat mashed regular food starting at around 6 months when they don't have teeth.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• 1) Ignore gailll. She's on a rampage lately, and is very misinformed.

2) Teeth don't matter because they chew with molars which they don't get until later.

3) Give her what you're eating for meals. She can easily eat anything you can mash with your tongue against the roof of your mouth,

4) She needs the nutrition from formula until she is eating a balanced diet of food.
    Anonymous

• Milk is indeed healthy. If it was not healthy, the AAP wouldn't recommend it. Listen to the experts, not, not ill-informed moms like Gaill.

Formula contains the necessary nutrients your daughter needs if she is not eating solids yet. I would keep her on the formula for awhile longer.

Take it slow. Steam vegetables until they are easy to "gum". But 1 year olds need more than just vegetables. They need good fats in order to develop properly. This is why I suggested keeping up with the formula for a bit longer. Avocado is an excellent source of good fats, as well as full-fat yogurt.

Have you discussed this with your doctor?
    Anonymous

• oops, sorry about that extra "not"...I've got mommy brain tonight
    Anonymous

• My son only has 2 teeth. He eats small, mushy pieces of whatever we eat. I just make sure we have something that he can mash up very well with his gums. He eats a lot of noodles, mushy meats, steamed veggies, fruits. He loves pancakes (that I make with baby food) and canned pears. His favorite food is black beans. All of these things are soft enough that he can consume them without teeth. Check out this site: http://www.wholesometoddlerfood.com/. There is also a Cooking for Toddlers group on here. If you're formula feeding, continue to do that until your child's doctor tells you otherwise.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 10:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Gailll is right, milk is not the best liquid for your children, I don't care what the AAP says. Water is what children (and adults) should be drinking. Anyway, to the OP, anon was right. Babies chew with their gums in the back (where our molars are). Your child can eat anything you feel like giving her (I have been giving my 15 month old whole apples, not the dark red skins, and carrots for months and he loves them). Although with no past chewing experiences, I wouldn't suggest it for your daughter. My point is, the food doesn't have to be mushy for her to eat. It could be the mushy texture that is causing her to stay away from food in the first place. Try some basics like crackers, pretzels, whole bananas, etc. to get her started. Good luck!
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 2:44 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I fed my kids sloft finger food befor they had any teeth. My 2nd DD did not like baby food.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:50 AM on Oct. 17, 2009