bad birthing experience.

Hi I was on here back in August about not wanting to give birth in the hosptital where my doc delivers and then I felt bad about changing him last minute andI stuck with him. Well i had my son on Sept. 10th and I almost lost him. During the c-section my placenta ruptured and till this day I dont know why. I've been really depressed over this till this day. I'm happy that my son is here but his apgar scores were really low when born and I feel mad about it. I should have went with my instinct and went to another hospital...

latinamom94

Asked by latinamom94 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honey, your placenta did not rupture because of your doctor. It was a very scary situation and I'm sure you go through a bad case of the what ifs over and over. We tend to look for things and others to blame when these things happen. I can tell you don't blame yourself or the doctor. No matter what you did it still would have happened. Focus on the facts, the solid facts, YOU did not die, your baby is here, and did not die. He's fine now.
    Anonymous

• yes, i agree with anon.... i don't think what happened depended on the dr. your son is ok now right? so why be mad or depressed if there were no long term consequences?

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I suggest you not dwell on the past and enjoy your new baby! Once you are both home and healthy, apgar scores and placentas are no longer anything to worry about.

Congratulations!
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 8:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Find out if it was the doctor's fault. Get your records from the hospital. You are not going to be able to let go of it until you know.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• First of all, yes, your son is healthy and all. But you're not. And people telling you that because your son is fine, you should be fine, is wrong, and it undermines your feelings. It is fine to feel the way you do. It is healthy. Someone else took control of your body, controlled your birth experience, and you don't understand what happened. Placentas really don't spontaneously rupture. Something was up.

Now, you can work through the feelings of not choosing the wrong doctor. But many women who have had bad birth experiences physically go through PTSD. It IS traumatic to have someone else take over your most intimate bodily functions, and this includes giving birth.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• How can anyone KNOW it wasn't the doctor's fault? How often does this happen?
    It doesn't make sense that in surgery a doctor would allow the baby to go without oxygen.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• What causes placenta abruptio, and how can you lower your risk?

Doctors aren't sure what causes placenta abruptio. But there are things that raise a woman’s risk for an abruption. These things are called risk factors. If you avoid them, you can lower your risk.

Common risk factors for placenta abruptio include:

* High blood pressure (140/90 or higher). This is the most common risk factor linked to placenta abruptio, whether the high blood pressure is chronic (long-term) or is caused by the pregnancy (preeclampsia).
    * Having a placental abruption in the past.
    * Smoking during pregnancy.

Less common risk factors for placenta abruptio include:

* Using cocaine.
    * Having a scar from a past surgery or a uterine fibroid where the placenta has attached to the wall of the uterus.
    * Having an injury to the uterus. This could happen in a car accident.

Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I looked this up on Web md. Stop scaring her. There really is no exact reason for it to happen. She needs to move on. No one said her placenta spontaneously rupture. In fact I know several people who experienced it. You can't blame the doctor. If you want mor info on it go back on web md and get the rest of the facts. My doctor told me it is a very reliable site for info.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• How can you tell someone who is enduring immense hardship (to simply get over it) to move on?
    She NEEDS answers.
    She'd said she was having a cesarean and had the abruption during the surgery. The baby was deprived of oxygen for a long time. (I don't have to scare her, she had a baby in the NICU for a couple of weeks, she's already there.)

She really does need to get a hold of her medical records. It doesn't sound *normal*. As a birth doula (passionate about "all things birth"), to me this sounds very unusual.
    Here is a mom who is confused and suffering. She needs help on many levels.

I know if it happened to me (as with most of us probably), we'd want to know what happened & why our baby was suffering. Maybe it "happens" or maybe not.
    But this mom deserves to know her truth.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:33 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Let me rephrase. There is a reason it ruptured, whether or not it was caused by the doctor (probably NOT caused by the doctor). I would want to know why, especially if I wanted more kids.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2009