A question for SAHM

I'm a fairly new SAHM. My son is nearing a month old, but I was on maternity leave a few months before he was born. I don't plan on going back to work until he's school-aged, and I'm very happy with my decision. While he keeps me busy, and so does the housework, I still have a decent amount of time when he's sleeping where I'm home with only the baby and want something to fill my day other than cleaning and going on the internet. Any suggestions or hobbies to give some variety to my day?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 8:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I agree... they sleep less and less all the time so your free time is limited unless you're lucky enough to have the baby on a great routine where he sleeps for long periods of time. My first dd never slept more than 2 hours till she was a couple years old, where my last baby came home from the hospital almost sleeping the whole night and who took atleast 2 2-4 hour naps during the day.
    I did baby crafts while my baby was sleeping. I made her blankets, arranged baby albums (I took about a roll a day for quite some time), took naps myself once the adreniline (sorry can't spell that word) finally eased up and my body wore out (took me a couple of months and then I was dead tired). I also set up online photo albums so that my family in another state could see pics to see how much she was growing (now I'd do video too but I didn't know how then). I read books, magazines, and visited nursing home (old people love babies).
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Rest up and enjoy the quiet time.. It won't last long once he starts staying awake for longer periods and becomes more active.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 8:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I agree with KalebsMommee, lol! For fun you could always go to the grocery store. :) Such is the life.......seriously, I know several SAHMs that are parts of playgroups, etc, running and doing all kinds of activities, but I find myself incapable of doing too many things at once. Enjoy it, take lots of pictures, maybe scrapbook, the peace and quiet will all be over soon.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I like to knit and crochet. Plus there's a point. When you are done you have a blanket or sweater to give the baby.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Start a scrapbook of your baby/family/friends/vacations ect. Purchase a yoga or pilates video to do while you have some down time. Go to the library and rent a book to read each month. Call some friends or family to come chill while baby is napping. Start a journal/blog and use you down time to sit and write....thats all i got for now lol
    diva9786

Answer by diva9786 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I hope you can stay that way! And I'm not saying that snotty at all! My husband had a great job with benefits, and great pay and Iwas staying home with my little ones. I planned on it until they went to school.He smashed his hand and almost had it amputated so he can't get a job right now. So back to work. When I WAS home I went for walks, made friends with women with kids the same age as mine. I did a lot of writing. And exercise helps too. It does get a little lonely after awhile so keep busy!
    The other thing I did was I took a VERY part time job, like 10 hours a week in a salon just to have some adult conversation once in awhile(not to get rich obviously!lol) You will have more to do very soon!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Totally agree with getting and enjoying the quiet time. I can't wait for mine to take a nap. I look forward to 1pm. Some SAHM do Avon or Mary Kay to help with finances. If your crafty, start scrapbooking.

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 9:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Work out! Aging and having babies is rough on the body. Build good habits now while you can, they will be easier to stick to if you have a set habit.

Learn to sew. Your child will be wanting Halloween and play costumes as he gets older.
    Anonymous

• when my son was still very young I read a lot, and knitted a lot
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Trust me your time of having free time to sit around and do nothing is about to go to go away as soon as your baby starts crawling! It won't be like that the whole five years and once the baby in moving you'll be cleaning a ton more too! Scrapbooking is a great hobby for new moms. You'll want to get as much done now while you still have the chance!
    Anonymous