When Bush, Sr. instituted an office for volunteerism, it was lauded and praised by the conservative side. Why is the continuation of the vision decried by the same group when Obama brings back the focus on the benefits of volunteerism?

COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Calling public service "the essence of our liberty," President Barack Obama on Friday urged Americans to step up and volunteer in their communities.
Speaking at a community service forum in Texas, Obama said there's only so much government can do in tackling the nation's problems. He said government can build the best schools, but it can't run the PTA. It can buy the armed forces the best equipment, he said, but it can't give a home-cooked meal to a military family stretched thin. "The need for action always exceeds the limits of government," Obama said. "While there's plenty that government can and must do ... there's a lot that government can't and shouldn't do and that's where active, engaged citizens come in." The event was hosted by former President George H.W. Bush at Texas A&M University. Bush was the first president to create a permanent White House office dedicated to promoting volunteerism.

PsWifey

Asked by PsWifey at 9:25 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• While I know this is against the very fiber of some of you all, I don't think mandated volunteerism is necessarily a bad thing. I look at Israel, who mandates military service for all, with a few exceptions for religious belief, and I think it makes Israel a stronger nation. You learn, whether you like it or not, to give of yourself and your time. You learn that getting the paycheck is not the end all be all. Would it work for everyone? No, there are failures with all public programs.

But I see the me-centric society we live in, and while I am doing the best I can to shield my kids from that, this is what they will grow up in. Making the idea that you will do something to help others part of the expectations of our nation - I can't rule it out as a totally bad thing. People always say let them do it on their own....riiiight. Not working out so well. Volunteerism is way down.

Not the worst idea in the world,to me
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 3:15 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Don't you know that when Obama does it he's really recreating the Hitler youth program? Geez, where have you been?!

Oh... and I'm being facetious.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 9:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• PSSST, I don't know if you have heard, but he MAY be the ANTI-CHRIST...or Santa Clause...not sure which one

Oh and I think he was born in a manager, or Krypton so he isn;t eligible to marry LaVaughn....

His birth certificate indicates he's a marxist / communist, that;s why he won't show it'

and his college thesis talked of his mark of the beast as well as his socialist agenda that was sure to bring us into Hell

While performing late term abortions, he got this idea to run for the Senate and crafted a way to burn and dance on the constitution....

so when you say he wants us to volunteer, naturally he is really readying a FEMA camp in a town near you.....

DUH??!!

LMAO

O and I think if you ask he'll mail you a tea bag ...or something like that
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I don't understand it either. *shrugs*
    hannah_belle

Answer by hannah_belle at 9:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Lol sweet-a-kins, BEST answer!!
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 9:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Lol sweet-a-kins, BEST answer!!

Orly is my hero....I mean, she just sets women back to the dark ages...where we beling, barefoot and pregnant (chugging vodka in water bottles)

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Because it's OBAMA. The conservatives are still pouting because they lost the election.
    Anonymous

• ^^^^ Exactly, because it's Obama.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 10:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I agree, ^^^^ Exactly, because it's Obama.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 11:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Yes, that's just the way it is. You all said exactly what I was going to say. There are only a few of us who actually have anything good to say about our President. Kinda sad,isn't it? He could cure cancer and abolish all wars and they would still have nothing positive to say about him.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2009