I really hope to breast feed or at least try it. I will be 38 weeks on Tuesday, no sign of my breast leaking so far. does it just vary depending on the woman?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes! just because you arent leaking doesnt mean you wont be able to breastfeed! :)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Not everyone's breasts leak. All you have at first is colostrum, anyway, your milk won't come in for at least a couple of days after baby makes his or her entrance into the world. Don't worry about it, your baby will get all he/she needs from you when the time comes.
    Anonymous

• Leaking/not leaking is not really relevant to anything. Most women do leak after their milk becomes established, maybe for a little while, anyway. So perhaps, in time, for you... ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I leaked beforehand, and I can produce milk. However, I haven't been producing enough, so he wasn't gaining enough weight. Now I have to pump my milk and supplement with formula for the extra amount he needs but can't get from my breasts. It has been really frustrating and disappointing, but I'm doing what I can. you'll most likely be fine..only 2% of women actually CAN'T breastfeed.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Don't think you are going to try to breastfeed. KNOW you are going to breastfeed!

Breastfeed within the first hour of birth. Don't let anyone give your baby any bottles, pacifiers, and anything other than breastfeeding. Room-in with your baby. Nurse frequently, at least every 2-3 hours until your milk comes in. Get help right away if you have any difficulties.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Mine never leaked, but let me tell you my milk came in fully within 3 days and I felt like a cow, lol! Still nursing and DS just turned a year. My friend leaked before birth and only BF'd for a week. It varies from woman to woman.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Mine never leaked until after birth

Answer by admckenzie at 10:33 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• "Breastfeed within the first hour of birth. Don't let anyone give your baby any bottles, pacifiers, and anything other than breastfeeding. Room-in with your baby. Nurse frequently, at least every 2-3 hours until your milk comes in. Get help right away if you have any difficulties."

I agree. My son went to the NICU and wasn't getting enough oxygen. They gave him a bottle for his first few feedings without my permission, and a pacifier almost immediately. He won't latch on now, never has. I was really upset about...went to lactation consultants and everything, nothing helped. Sometimes you can't, but most likely you'll be able to.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 10:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• There is no reason for your breasts to leak now. SOME women get light leakage before birth, but your milk doesnt truly come in til 3-4 days AFTER baby is born.
    Congrats on wnating to bf! Do NOT GIVE UP!! Call your local LLL (www.llli.org) and consult your hospitals Lactation consultant BEFORE birth so you can be ready to go!! :)
    YOU CAN DO IT!
    If women were unable to breastfeed the human race would have died out long ago.
    southernlamom

Answer by southernlamom at 10:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• My breasts leaked like crazy during my first pregnancy, but my son would never nurse. With my second, they didn't leak at all, and I've been breastfeeding her for the past 6 months with no problems. Leaking during pregnancy has no bearing on it whatsoever. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2009