Be HONEST how much time do you?

Spend with your kids one on one attention?? i don't feel like i spend enough time with my son i just don't get into it. Am i a bad mom?

Amanda2430

Asked by Amanda2430 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Several hours a week.

My older son is in K full days 5 days a week. So i get alone time with younger DS on Mondays and Fridays when older son is in school (DS is in school the other 3 days)
    And i get alone time with older DS after younger son goes to bed every night.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• No, you're not a bad mom. I have a couple kids who don't get enough one on one time, and then I have one who gets too much because he's not in school or anything, so we're together 24/7.
    Anonymous

• I Just feel bad because i chose not to i just wish i could get into kid things!
    Amanda2430

Answer by Amanda2430 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I had a time every afternoon where we played and practiced numbers and letters. Maybe two hours. And during the day from time to time. But the afternoon time was set aside for my attention for the children.

Answer by Bmat at 10:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I try every day
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 10:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I am home all day with my daughter so she gets an 1/2 hr to an hour of my attention in the am as well as in the afternoon. Sometimes more- like today it rained all day so we watched movies together. We normally color, play play doh, play a game ect.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 11:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Every second of every day I am spending time with at least one of my kids. Whether its doing chores, jumping on the bed, watching a movie, playing with each other, running errands, or sleeping there is always one of them if not all. My kids dont really have a lot of toys so everything is usually made a game. Do you like to color? that is always my favorite kid thing to do. Even as a kid I never played with toys I dont really know how. I dont think your a bad mom at all, but I do think your missing out. Not only is it beneficial to your kids, but it brings out the child in you too and can make you feel better.

EarthMom6

Answer by EarthMom6 at 12:30 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Your not a "bad" mom, I think our a better mom for realizing that theres a problem and wanting to do something about it. Playing doesnt always have to be kid stuff, I often just grab my son and tickle him when he is playing or crying LOL, it helps. Blow rasberries on his belly. You dont have to play cars or with toys, but maybe play pretend, coloring together is always something fun to do, or laying out some newspaper and making finger paintings together. Somethimes its fun to just watch them play and ask them questions like, why did you choose this car or why do you like to draw with the blue crayon, Its cool to see how their little thought processes form.
    cainesmama

Answer by cainesmama at 1:27 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• You are not alone! Lol! I have two sons that I adore but I cannot for the life of me, sit down and play Thomas the train, hotwheels or Legos. I can't stand it. DH doesn't either. He takes them out for exercise and my time with them is snuggling in the morning or at bedtime and often reading. Sometimes we color or make crafts (which I hate and was never creative) but we do take them places all the time. We offer experiences more than play. I can live with it and I don't think they'll mind when they are sixteen.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:36 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Since you asked, I am going to answer you honestly. You are a bad mother because it sounds like you are shrugging off the problem and giving up. And hoping that other moms are going to soothe your ego and help you run away from what sounds like a healthy and potentially helpful amount of guilt.

Your job as a mother is to find a way to connect with your child. It is lazy to give up when you discover that you do not enjoy typical "kid-friendly" activities. If you don't like children's games and toys, then what do you like? Do you like music? Then share your favorite songs and dance with your kid. It is absolutely your job as a mother to make sure that your child feels loved, and worthy of focused attention.

Figure something out or the pimp or drug dealer in your neighborhood will when they are teenagers and sense that their mom is unwilling to leave her own comfort zone for them. Grow up already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:12 AM on Oct. 17, 2009