Mirena?

Has anyone had the Mirena IUD? How do you like it...and have you had any side effects? I'm considering getting it put in at my next post-partum appointment.

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Health

• I got the mirena because I am breastfeeding, and didn't want anything that affected my ability to produce milk. Also, it can stay in for 5 years (gulp) and I won't have yet another thing to think about while I'm busy with everything else in my life. My doc advised that with mirena I would get initial spotting and very light periods, and with some women, no period at all after a prolonged time. However, the mirena will not stop the hormonal fluctuations, so if you get mood swings, it will not do anything about it.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• How are you with hormonal BC? If you are okay on that you should be fine on Mirena. I can't have any kind hormonal BC because it makes me VERY depressed and I bleed a lot so it wasn't an option for me. My friend likes it, and has no problems with it at all.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I've only been on the pill, and I was fine with that. My Dr. said that with Mirena you don't have periods, though, and that's the big plus for me. I have horrible, HORRIBLE cramps usually, and will do anything to avoid it. That, and he said with this that I won't gain weight. Hmm...I don't know. Usually I'm not on anything, and that worked for a while, seeing that my DH pulled out, haha. He didn't a few times, and that's why we have my son, lol. Not sure I want another one quite yet! :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• The pull out method, yeah that worked great here too. Then you'll probably be fine.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• i had my son in may & got mirena in june & its been fine so far. I still havent had a period since before my son was conceived. We still use condoms because ive heard of several woman still get pregnant while they have mirena, i dont want to be that 1% chance lol!
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I have a couple of journals about the hell I went through with it (one includes links to other sites where countless other women have shared what happened to them with it). I have not, nor will I EVER, recommend that damned thing to ANYONE. Some women like it, yes, but that doesn't mean that I have to agree, just as they do not have to agree with my point of view.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:10 AM on Oct. 17, 2009