Thank you Bobby Jindal....

NEW ORLEANS – Louisiana's governor and a U.S. senator joined Friday in calling for the ouster of a local official who refused to marry an interracial couple, saying his actions clearly broke the law.

Keith Bardwell, a white justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish in the southeastern part of the state, refused to issue a marriage license earlier this month to Beth Humphrey, who is white, and Terence McKay, who is black. His refusal has prompted calls for an investigation or resignation from civil and constitutional rights groups and the state's Legislative Black Caucus.

Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal said in a statement a nine-member commission that reviews lawyers and judges in the state should investigate.

"Disciplinary action should be taken immediately — including the revoking of his license," Jindal said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091016/ap_on_re_us/us_interracial_rebuff

Should his license be revoked?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Should his license be revoked?

Depends on how the laws are written there. These things are rarely as clear as they seem. If you are asking if we think his license should be revoked and not what the law says, then I would say yes. Hopefully the laws in LA are clear enough to determine his eligibility to hold a license without long drawn out court proceedings.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I hope his license is revoked and that his entire life is disrupted. What he has done is clearly despicable and he needs to be severely punished.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.) also called for Bardwell's dismissal. "I am deeply disturbed by Justice Bardwell's practices and comments concerning interracial marriages," she said. "Not only does his decision directly contradict Supreme Court rulings, it is an example of the ugly bigotry that divided our country for too long. I call upon the Louisiana Judiciary Committee to use its authority to have Justice Bardwell dismissed from his position. He clearly has no intention of administering the law or upholding justice for interracial couples."

"Perhaps he's worried the kids will grow up and be president," said Bill Quigley, director of the Center for Constitutional Rights and Justice, referring to President Barack Obama, the son of a black father from Kenya and a white mother from Kansas.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• He said that he does this all the time, always asks if they are an interracial couple and if they are he always refers them to another person to do their marriage license. What I'm wondering is why no one has said anything about it before if this is the way hes been doing it for years now?
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 11:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• That's good. I am glad Jindal is objecting to that ignorant bigot Bardwell. Who is he to decide about who marries? it is none off his business and he can't make judgements like that for people. He is disgusting and should be dismissed.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Should his license be revoked?

Yes. He denied people their right to equal protection under the law.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 1:37 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Boo to racist JPs.... yay to Bobby Jindal!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 1:41 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• yes he should lose his license but I can not say that the actual laws support that.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:30 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Hmmmm....does this mean SOME of the staunch Democrats here, would consider supporting Jindal (a Republican) for President or Vice President ticket?! Just curious!

See, they're not ALL bad! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:20 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Omg sweet. When I saw the opening line to your q, I thought that I was going to find inside that Bobby Jindall had had an affair with a turkey or something equally shocking.

Of course, that judge should lose his job.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:27 AM on Oct. 17, 2009