is it true epidurals make u sick?? like vomiting? if so does the hospital give u anything to stop that or make u feel better?

MaMaTreZZa

Asked by MaMaTreZZa at 10:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No they don't make you sick. I've had several. My adult daughters have had them, friends have had them. I've never heard that they make you sick.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:33 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I'm not sure about epidurals but I had a spinal with my son (c-section) and was vomiting so much I couldn't hold him or feed him his first nursing. . . they tried a couple drugs and finally gave me a patch that worked. . . but it took an hour or more. . .
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I had one with my youngest, and it didn't make me sick either. There was a slight backache (enough to be annoying but not really painful) for a month of two afterward, but Tylenol or the like would take care of that.

I had my tubes done immediately afterward, and they didn't have to worry about gassing or sticking me again with this procedure either.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 10:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I threw up but I think it was from pushing so hard because I felt fine until then. What did they give me to make me feel better....... a red biohazard bag, that looked like a condom for an elephant, to puke in
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I've had three epidurals. admckenzie's right, they've never made me sick either. I have heard of some women getting headaches from them but more often headaches come from spinal anesthesia. That's put in a different location. It can be scary to get it, it stings but hug a nurse you lean into by lying down or sitting and leaning. Then you're all relaxed and ok.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• It can cause nausea but it is usually when they turn it off and they turned it off suddenly. Also labor in general can cause nausea (particularly if its ur first, ur nervous, not allowed toe at, tired, etc)

Your doc can give u somethign to ease the nausea! :)
    southernlamom

Answer by southernlamom at 10:42 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• They can make you sick. You have to have large amounts of IV fluids before they can do the epidural because the epidural messes up your blood pressure. You can have to be cathed and get a UTI.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:44 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• They can do a lot more then make you sick. ...they can paralyze you.

Do some research before you make the choice on if you want an epi.
    Aren't sure where to start? Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth is a great group of non-judgmental moms and they'd be happy to help you find credible resources.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:47 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• It did not make me sick and honestly that was the best decision i have ever made. i went into labor 2 times then we decided to induce my labor because the baby wasnt growing anymore. im a small lady, at the end of my pregnancy i weighed 98 lbs. i was in so much pain until they gave me that and my husband was also grateful. i think the positives outweight the negatives...Good Luck :-)
    laceyb829

Answer by laceyb829 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Mine did, but I think it was screwed up. My BP was 150/90 and after my epidural it went to 50/30 and I passed out. Most people don't have problems, though. I had a problematic pregnancy.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 11:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2009