WHen do you really know you are depressed

and its time to get help do you talk to your gyno about it or what? and how do you approach it to your Dr. my man doesn't want me to go to the Dr about this because he says i am only going to be happy because the pills are making be happy i just feel i need help i was a depressed teen and now i am a depressed mom w/ two kids my man is a truck driver gone 5-6 days a week and i want to go to work for " me time " but i cant because i will lose government insurance on my kids and i don't want to go to work for someone else to raise my kids and me pay for insurance. so confused I AM NOT HAPPY WITH MY LIFE! i know i am the only one that can change this but i dont know what to do.

Amanda2430

Asked by Amanda2430 at 10:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Health

• Just because you go see someone about depression doesn't mean you have to take medication. You can try a psychologist, therapy. And if you decide to try medication, and it works, then that's good. But maybe try therapy first.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• Well, my mom died in April in my bedroom. It was very unexpected. So DH and i are adopting my little brother. ...and i already take care of my stepson. ...so ...i'm a 22 year old mother of an almost 5 year old and an almost 4 year old but i have never given birth. OH ...AND my DH is in Iraq ...has been sense November. ...So, ...I am alone every day.

Needless to say, i am depressed. I have lost interest in almost everything. I hate getting up in the morning. I don't jog like i used to. I don't do yoga any more. I've considered smoking again. etc etc.

I don't like medication ...so i will not go see a Dr. until i feel like i have exhausted all other efforts.
    They say to make sure you are getting enough Vit D. Also, Omega's are super important and making sure that you go outside everyday is also very important.

You can always PM if you want. :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I'm sorry you ladies are having such hard times. I was alone a lot when my kids were little too. My husband just plain was not into raising family. I'm still alone. I wish someone back then when my kids were little told me about how great public libraries are - they have activities for all ALL age groups and the best part is everything IS FREE. And you don't have to be limited to just your own town or county. Any public library you can get to that has groups that interest you. Plus now being a mom with way older kids I so wish I knew churches have women's groups. Some are incredibly active and fun and others are more toned down. There's a church on my street that every single mid week night has a dinner for anyone in the church to attend. Try too a church that has preschool maybe you can in return help out with Sunday School and gather arts and crafts, teach that or help prepare snacks for kids, refreshments& cleanup.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• sigh I know. I've taken each of my three kids to different surgeries myself, done their health care after surgeries and in illnesses myself. Taken care of myself sick. It's hard and upsetting I remember. You've got to provide well for your kids but you've got to nurture yourself first so that you can then nurture your kids. Kids noisy wear earplugs or a headset. That became my saviour. The noise of childhood became more quiet even at its loudest and I was more calm. I could still hear everything in front, around me, behind me but it was just a bit softer.

When my youngest was preschool I had surgery. The nurses were great and nurturing. My oldest was about 10 years old. I hadn't been nurtured like that ever except when I had babies. Then I really felt I understood the love between women.

If you don't feel better in a week or two doing different things if you can try something talk to your doctor.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I don't know, you're asking us but if I were you, I'd tell the gyn or gp or whatever doc you're comfortable with. Could be they'll refer a shrink or an anti anxiety med or an antidepressant. I hear Cymbalta is good but it's different for everyone. You are asking my friend and I applaud that. I think you need the help if only for a few months. Also it is SO important to get exercise, force yourself to get up, have coffee/tea, take the baby for a walk rain or shine. Plan your day, make meals and actually be an active part of being a mom. Try not to dread it. Take vitamin D but GET OUTSIDE. Force yourself. Try to get into a routine and let other crap go, like laundry or cleaning. Good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:31 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Ask your doctor for a referral to a therapist.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:21 AM on Oct. 17, 2009