Worried about my 20 month old's speach

My 20 month old knows several words and can even say things like 'good girl' and 'swim shoe' and 'bubble' - but I'm worried that he's not saying more. I hear about kids not much older who can communicate really well. The baby book said he should know 60 words and he doesn't know 20 yet. Should I be worried?

BlakesMomma118

Asked by BlakesMomma118 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have her evaluated.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• those are pretty good words to be saying. I wouldn't worry just yet but you can talk to the pedi. they don't even start putting sentences together till then or shortly after 2.

Anonymous

• ***start putting sentences together at 2 or shorty after***

Anonymous

• Google early intervention and name of your state. Your resource will come up and you can have your child evaluated. You also should probably check the hearing, as that can cause speech delay. Something as simple as fluid in the ears, makes a child hear like they are underwater. If you can't hear, it makes speech harder. Good Luck.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 10:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I wouldnt worry much, if you would feel more comfortable having her checked, go for it. My son was a little over 2 before he really started saying everything. And it was almost literally overnight. My husband and I were concerned as you are, and the next morning it seemed our son came out talking non stop... (still hasnt lol). All children do things different and at different times. We started reading alot more with our son which did seem to improve his vocabulary. And right now our daughter is just starting to talk alot more and she turned 2 in July. So it just takes some time for some. But, if it would ease your mind a little, then have her checked :) Best of Luck!
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 10:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I agree with checking out your state's early intervention program. It's usually free, and here they'll come to the child (still free) in his/her environment instead of you having to go to them. At the very least, they could evaluate your child and tell you whether there's anything to worry about.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:10 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• i wouldnt be worried yet. those charts are not always on point, i have two kids in speech and even our SLP said those numbers are off. if you think you need an EVL set one up can't hurt but speech really kicks in about 2 and a half for a lot of kids.
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 12:13 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Oh boy. He's doing way better than my 4 year old was at that age, and about the same as my 2 year old. The 4 year old, btw, now talks everybody's ears off, he started really picking up when he was about 2.5. The 2 y/o is still only at about MAYBE 40-50 words. Don't worry.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:29 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I have a son who was in speech therapy since he was two. At the age of 2 years, they should be using about 50 words and starting to use 2-3 word phrases.

If you are concerned, obviously contact Early Intervention. If nothing else, you'll either receive help for him or peace of mind that he's doing okay.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:31 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't worry too much. I would try talking to him in full sentences and try not to use short phases. He may pick up more words that way. I know this is hard sometimes but try to speak to him as if he was a little older. If this doesn't help much, then I would talk to his doctor about the concern of his speech. Good luck to you both!
    momofzachjassop

Answer by momofzachjassop at 9:02 AM on Oct. 19, 2009