Has anyone left their breastfed baby w/someone else for a few days while away?

I'm going away for 4 days with hubby's biz trip to Seattle, I'm just tagging along, well when I bought the ticket we didn't know it was going to rain. Now, I'm thinking of leaving my 8 mo. old w/mom in law because I'm thinking it'll be so hard to travel in the rain w/bb not to mention she just got over a cold. Has anyone gone away whilst breastfeeding? And if so, was your milk supply compromised?

Orchid7

Asked by Orchid7 at 10:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your baby would miss you so. When you got back your baby may not breastfeed any more. I wouldn't risk it. I would take the baby or stay home. If I was the MIL no way would I take care of the baby. Breastfeeding babies need to be with their moms.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• I left my middle child for 4 days when he was 7.5 months. He never nursed the same after that. I pumped and my supply still went way down.
    I left him with my husband, so the baby was comfortable with his daddy, I don't know how your LO will cope without you or daddy. I would only do it is your LO is very used to your MIL, because if not she will likely be miserable and you will worry about her constantly.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• It's really not that bad in Seattle-- take your child with you. Rarely does it pour down rain-- mostly it's just drizzle, and most Seattlelites don't bother with umbrellas. It actually rains more in Boston than Seattle. And remember-- people in Seattle have kids all the time and the incidence of cold/flu are no higher than the rest of the country :)

I recommend contacting a local company that rents child equipment-- like strollers with waterproof covers, and just remember to wash your hands.

If you are going to leave your daughter, then I recommend taking fenugreek to keep your milk supply up, and take a photo of your daughter with you to look at while you pump. You might also want to record her crying-- my son's crying always causes my milk to let down!

Anonymous

• I live in WA and it always rains, so that is a poor excuse. Babies are in the rain all the time and don't get sick (because virus's cause colds, not the cold). If you want to wean your baby, wean your baby, but why leave your MIL to suffer through the weaning process while you get to go away? You sound selfish, IMO. You MIL will be going crazy and your baby is will screaming the whole time because she doesn't understand. Take her with you or don't go. Not to mention, 4 days of not feeding baby could cause you to get clogged milk ducts which is painful. Does your insurance cover out of state doctors?
    Anonymous

• There are a great many reasons not to do this. Don't do it. Just take your baby along with you. I took my daughter with me on a 10 day business trip with my husband when she was 6 months old and it wasn't bad at all.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:58 PM on Oct. 16, 2009

• More than once. No compromising of supply at all because I was faithful about my pumping schedule.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:05 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I had to leave my kids several times in the 3 years each of them were breastfed they did just fine while i was gone and nothing changed when i got back they breastfed the same way they always did. The worst part of it all was I was engorged and pumping like crazy, my own fault i would forget to pump on time.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:30 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• When my daughter was 4 months old i went camping in the desert in souther utah in the middle of summer and left my child with the inlaws for a few 5 days. I knew of the trip so i had pumped and stored since the day she was born. She had some latching problems since she was born which were solved the first time i fed her when i got back!!!! My supply was fine as well, i just made sure to pump both sides AT LEAST every 4 hours!!! Pumps never do as well as a baby so make sure to do it often to keep your supply up. Just be careful if you do take your kid, the pressure change from flying can harm their delicate little ear drums. Good luck!!
    zoozleroo

Answer by zoozleroo at 12:43 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• If you have no reason to go on this trip why would you when you know how upsetting it will be for your baby? If it were me I'd either take the baby or stay home.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 12:55 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I didn't even go out to the movies til he was llike 10 mos. I was very committed to BF. And I can be OCD LOL! If you are leaning towards taking LO, TAKE HER! If you don't want to then pump every 2-3 hrs. Don't chance it. You'll be miserable on the trip pumping that often while trying to maintain your supply. It'll be easier for both of you if you take her.
    Unless you want some alone time with DH....
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:46 AM on Oct. 17, 2009