How to stop annoying behavior in 18m/o?

DD has gotten in the habit of grabing my hand and trying to drag me upstairs to the main level the second I sit down in our lower level (we have a tri-level). I HATE it! I was able to get her to stop pulling my clothes because she stretched them out, but that tactic hasn't gotten her to stop the underlying behavior of demanding my attention to the point of exhaustion. If I refuse to go up with her, she keeps pulling on me and yelling "help me" or signing food while whining (no matter how much she has eaten) and throws a fit. If I put her on time out for getting frustrated and swatting, she'll stop hitting, but she'll go back to pulling. What can I do? I hate giving in but I can't redirect her! She will still try to drag me around. At other times she plays alone happily and I do engage her when she approaches me in a positive way like sharing a book.

mrs_pulley

Asked by mrs_pulley at 11:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sorry it doesn't stop
    Anonymous

• haha! ok that was funny...and I believe it. just hoping someone here has had some luck! I don't want to raise a girl to think she'll always get her way.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 12:25 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• as long as you know shes not really hungry.just ignore her.
    Nikki_91510

Answer by Nikki_91510 at 1:00 AM on Oct. 17, 2009