What to do for my 7 year old that has out bursts in school.

Long story short i have a little boy that i walk on egg shells around to avoid the crasy behavior when he is upset. At school mostly with a sub he will not listen, when asked to do something he flat out refuses. Now they call the security guard and it gets bad he throws his shoes.. strips as far as he can spits all over himself. I am at a loss we did a year of seesion with a child shrink. I punish him, spank ground take things away. we have a set day as to not have changes to throw him off. He is a smart boy does well on tests. He has a mom and dad in the house as well as brothers and a sister. Now he is saying that he does not remember the fits he has. I really need help .. anyone got any ideas.

hmazz469

Asked by hmazz469 at 11:58 PM on Oct. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I feel for you girl.my brother has a son that is the same way.We are still looking for a way to help him.he is six and is sent home almost everyday from school for being out of control.I wish i could help.Please be careful of the meds the doctor tries to proscribe him though.My nephews doctor proscribed him a new med(cant remember the name started with a z)and the side effects were awful.seizures,heart attacks,stroke,Etc.The FDA just approved it last year,and only 134 kids are on it because its so dangerous.We didnt know this til we researched it online.Thankfully we never gave him any of it before then.goodluck.
    Nikki_91510

Answer by Nikki_91510 at 12:38 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I should write a journal about my experiences... :). Let me start by saying that this is not true for every child (some children do have other problems) BUT for MY son, we found out that he is allergic to corn syrup. He was getting in trouble everyday in school, always a handful at home, meltdowns over nothing, couldn't sleep, etc. I took him to the doc and said I knew he didn't have ADHD, but there was something going on with him. The doctor convinced me he did have ADHD, and we started him on meds. Long story short, after months of being on meds and upping the dose, the doctor admitted he "might not be ADHD" because he was getting more violent and out of control with the medication. I did my own research and figured it was worth a try to get rid of corn syrup. It cost me nothing but time (and we had several months to wait for his eval apt). After 2 weeks I saw a HUGE improvement. After 2 months, I had a different kid. cont.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 2:55 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Now, his body is free of corn syrup and he can sleep, control himself, think before he acts and we can avoid some meltdowns. If he does have anything with corn syrup, I can tell because he changes after 40 minutes of ingesting it. No worries though, because 4 hours later, he turns into his normal self. :) Needless to say, we try to never let the "hulk" out. Like I said, this is not the case for every child and this is a rally short version of this story, but my thought is... what if it did work? It would be a shame to suffer though their childhood when it could have been fun. Just a thought. Anyway, good luck!
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 2:59 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• First, he needs to be evaluated by a professional that works with children. There is something wrong and he needs help. The counselor you had him going to may not have been the right one for your child. I wouldn't spank him though, that is just showing him it is ok to be violent. Time outs, taking things away, making him apologize for his behavior, extra chores, writing dictionary pages are other ideas. He needs patience and hardwork to find out what is wrong with him. He may need a combination of meds and therapy to control his anger. Also, anger management and coping skills may also help.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I agree with tyfry7496, all except the punishment part. Punishment should be saved for intentional misbehavior...and your son may not have much control over his if this turns out to be a medical condition. Obviously you can't let him hurt people or be disrespectful...but have him checked out with a pediatric specialist..a child psychologist. There is something behind his behavior that drives him...just need to find out what it is. In the meantime, hang in there!
    char944

Answer by char944 at 10:12 AM on Oct. 18, 2009