Can you give yourself a mental illness?

I've been having nagging thoughts and now take something for it,it went away.Do you think the thoughts were me or a mental illness?Sincere kind answers please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Health

• More in likely you were having some anxiety and it was probably caused by a/some stressful situations in your life. As things level out the anxiety could possibly go away and the need to medicate to.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 12:07 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Well, when my younger brother was in Jr. High, he was so depressed that they diagnosed him with some sort of schizophrenia that only happens during extremely sever depression. he is older now, and has not had the problem for several years.

I have been moderately to severely depressed sense my mom died 6 months ago, and sometimes i have thoughts that are troublesome, ...but i feel as if they are not OF me. ...I do not act on them. I do confide in my husband, and i keep trying to do everything i can to pull myself out of depression. ...If i get worse, i will see a Dr. ...but right now it doesn't seem to me as if there will be a need.

Does that answer your question?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:09 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I think the anxiety answer sums it up,I do suffer from anxiety and depression but I'm medicating my skitzo now and it's working.It's terrible once the medication wears down and I feel my old self coming back,this has helped me see,it's abigger problem than I thought..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• i've always wondered that myself cause i tend to let stress overwhelme me and i can't control my onplusive thoughts. i have never been diagnosed with anything but depression in the past but what i feel now isn't depression but more like ocd tendencies.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:04 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Actually in some cases I think it is completely true. For example with me. For years I suffered with anxiety attacks, and as I got older I got off the meds and learned how to cope with stress. But, once I was having a child while my husband was in Iraw and I was 3,000 miles away from anybody I knew...The stress and anxiety almost swept me off my feet. ("What if something happens to my husband and he never meets his baby boy?" "What if something happenes to me during the delivery and I am all alone?" ECT.) Somethings you absolutely cannot control no matter how hard you try. I believe that anxiety and stress are two of those things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Oct. 19, 2009