How much did you spend on your wedding dress? And did you pay cash or did you finance it?

I'm watching Say Yes To The Dress and I am flabberghasted at what women are paying for dresses. I paid $100 for mine. I shopped the sales and got it at a deep discount (it was a discontinued style). I paid cash for it. We're not exactly well off, and we had to be careful with what we spent on our wedding. The entire affair costs under $3000, and we did have to take out a loan for it.

How are women paying more than I paid for my whole wedding on their DRESS? Particularly young women, who haven't had years and years to save up for it? This blows my mind!

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 12:07 AM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If I cannot afford I do not need it, we were married at the magistrate because we could not afford a wedding. At our five year anniversary we are planning to renew our vows and we are saving so we can have the wedding we want which is about 4000 to 6000.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 12:09 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I paid 200 dollars for my dress. ...it was prices at over 500 dollars, but it was clearance (like yours, it was a discontinued style). i LOVE my dress!!! wouldn't have traded it for anything. ...we paid about 7000 for our wedding INCLUDING a 5 night honeymoon.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:12 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• i have no idea why those women think they need to spend that much on a dress!! mine was way prettier than almost any ive seen on that show & perfect for my body type...it cost $200 but mostly b/c i had to order it b/c im a big girl, but my mom paid for it.

our wedding only totaled at 2-3000 b/c we did everything ourselves or we went w/o...except cake, we splurged on the cake haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:16 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I paid $99 for my dress. I got lucky. We went on New Years Day and they were having a sale. The first dress sold that day, no matter what dress, only would cost $99. Well, luckily I live in a small town and I was first. We didn't even know about the sale until we got there. But even if there wasn't that sale, the dress I picked was only $500 anyway. Our whole wedding also cost around $3000 and that included the $1000 my inlaws gave us to take our honeymoon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I paid cash, $760.

I wish I would of just rented one, I will never wear the damn thing again..
    kerri-

Answer by kerri- at 12:17 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• My mom made my dress, and I think the materials cost about $200 at the time. But if the dress had been sold in the store, it would have cost several thousand dollars as it was an original design (she was a bridal designer, with a couple of "Brides" covers to her credit), and the beading was all done by hand. I have a picture of her with two friends, sewing seed pearls onto lace! And she cut apart the lace flowers, too, to use them as appliques.

That kind of detail work is VERY pricey and that's why you see really expensive dresses.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:22 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I bought mine at the JC Pennys outlet the discounted price was $250 I think and both my grandmothers had given me gift cards for xmas to put towards it so I paid less then $100 out of pocket, I think the original price was $500.

My wedding cost less than $3000 and we used our tax reurn to pay for it and bought other things each month for a year leading up to the wedding. My parents paid for flowers. My honeymoon except the hotel was paid for with the money from the money dance and monetary gifts at the wedding. My pictures cost $1200, chirch $200, the rest was the reception and that included everything cake, dj, food, alcohol etc.

I can not believe how many people spend thousands and go into debt for a wedding, My day was magical and I put alot of work into it to save money.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:24 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• It really is insane. They say the average price for a wedding is ...what? like 20 thousand? ...i live in California and 20g's is what we call a down-payment for a house! lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:34 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Mine was about 100 bucks on sale. We spent only a little over a 1000 on the whole thing. My niece on the other hand got a designer dress, huge ring, 10000 on the wedding and reception. It was so foofoo that it was incredibly uncomfortable for the guest. Way over the top.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:34 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Too much. But we paid cash - nothing was financed.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:36 AM on Oct. 17, 2009