Christmas with the family ?

me and my husband have been together for almost 5 years...every year on christmas, we go to his mom & dads for x-mas eve. along with his brothers and sister, and their kids. On x-mas morning we celebrate with my parents and my grandparents...that is how it has always been - when I was growing up my "mamaw & papaw" would come over in the morning and then watch us open our presents and then open theirs, etc.

This year my husband wants us to go to his mom and dads lie usual ( an hour away ) ...then come home, have my family come over and do those presents....then just the 4 of us on xmas morning.....

I understand that he wants to do it that way -- But i cant stand the idea of doing that ! It wouldnt feel like Christmas, it wouldnt feel special....and then as soon as we open presents I know that they would all just come over anyways to see the kids. Plus that would take away from their xmas' too, they would be alone.

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 12:14 AM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Just explain to your husband that you understand but tell him how you feel. How about it being just you guyss on xmas day but having lunch/dinner w.ur family afterwards? Thats what we do with my family and it seems to work pretty well.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 12:21 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Tell him how you feel. Hes not going to know if you don't speak up.
    kerri-

Answer by kerri- at 12:21 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Well personally I do not understand the idea of all the visiting crap that you people do. But then I am adopted and have no contact with any of my bio family and my adoptive family disowned me shortly after my adoptive parents passed away, so I have no family other than my son. Although my SO insists that he and his family are also mine, I refuse this with great gusto!! We have gone to SO's brothers house every year since we got together where all of his family gets together, I CANNOT STAND IT, I am miserable and just want to be alone but I go reluctantly only for my sons sake. Although I make it a point to get pissed off and catch an attitude about going purely out of obligation, if it were not for my son I would refuse outright!!!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:23 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• yes! I am a bitch and proud of it! But, I will do ANYTHING for my child!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I would KILL to be in your position. I would LOVE to have just our own little family doing our own Christmas thing. But i know that as long as my Aunt Linda is alive and as long as DH's mom is alive, that will probably never happen. Even if we don't visit anyone MIL is destined to call and bug the sh*t out of me for an hour or more and then talk to the kids for an hour or more, and then talk to her son for an hour or more. ugh!
    I like my MIL ...i really do. ...But i've had a difficult time explaining boundaries to her. Luckily, we are currently at a tolerable dose. lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:28 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I understand your husband completely. He wants to spend Christmas morning with his family not everyone. Give it a chance, just because that's the way you've always done something doesn't mean you always have to. You may enjoy the quiet time with just the hubby and kids too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Yeah, I'm with your husband on this one. The two of you and the kids are your new family. You can begin your own Christmas traditions, as a family, on Christmas morning. Your kids will love growing up with that tradition.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:17 AM on Oct. 17, 2009