Ear damage from flying?

I'm scared enough as it is to take my 5 month old on her 1st plane trip next month, is there a real risk of damaging her ears from the air pressure in the plane? I know I need to nurse her during take off and landing to help keep her comfortable, but seriously do you know any babies who have ear damage from flying?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 1:01 AM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've never heard of it. the only think I've ever heard was to not fly when you have an ear infection. I would think as long as her ears are healthy, she should be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Never heard of any permanent damage from flying...I've heard of young kids getting ear infections after flying but never anything serious.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:08 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I agree with the the other two posters. And it is a good idea for you to nurse her during take off and landing, as you said.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:33 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Never heard of it. I doubt babies would be allowed on planes if it were that common of a problem.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:44 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I have heard of it and know a friend who's baby's eardrum burst coming home from Hawaii. THAT SAID: he had a cold when they came home. I myself, have taken my four and 8 month old to Europe with no trouble at all. The biggest concern is the drinking going up and coming down to ease the discomfort. Also, the flight attendents know a trick using a warm towel pressed into a cup that you hold over the baby's ears and I guess this helps. Honestly, I wouldn't worry.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:07 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Even nursing, take a pacifier, even if you don't usually use one. The sucking can help ease the pressure even when they aren't hungry or wanting to nurse.

But I flew with my ds when he was 6 mos old from an island in the Aleutians to Anchorage (3 hrs in a plane), then from there to Ohio, then, 6 weeks later, back again. Then, when he was not quite one, we flew from there to another island, then to Anchorage (something like 7 hrs), then from there to San Fran.

Not to mention we're military so a LOT of our friends have traveled with babies, often by plane, and almost always long distances (our most recent was from Seattle to Tokyo to Misawa Japan), and there were several babies / small kids on the flight. None of my friends kids had problems, either.

Just check with your Dr to make sure there isn't any problems (like an ear infection or something) that could prohibit or restrict traveling for your lo.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:17 AM on Oct. 17, 2009