How time consuming is getting your PhD?

My husband is going back for his PhD. He will work his current full time job AND go to school part-time. I want him to be happy, and I'm trying so hard to be supportive, but I'm so scared he'll hardly have any time for me and our daughter anymore. This will last at least 7 years! Does anyone know about how much time PhD students usually spend on school stuff in any given week? I'm worried it's a LOT. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• I spend about 10 hours a week. I am taking one doctorate course at a time. I also work full time. It really depends on the program though and how far the student is in it. I know once I get to my dissertation it will be much more time consuming. Right now I am still in the regular course work. No matter how much time it takes it will be so worth it for your husband and your family.

FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 1:29 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• All i can say is good luck to your husband.

My MIL is going for her PhD. She WAS going to school full time and working part-time ...it was really wearing her down. She ended her job because it was just getting to be too much. She's been working on her PhD for a year or two now and she still has ...like 3 yrs left? idk. ...but she spends a lot of time on school work.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:30 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Oh ...and she is doing her internship and will be starting her dissertation soon.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:31 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• My husband has a PhD. He went full time after his Masters and then the military then his doctorate. We had 1 baby in the military and another one while getting his doctorate. It took him full time just over five years. He was a teaching assistant for pay and when he went for his masters he was a research assistant.

I was alone without him nearly every day and night. There were great playgroups for our kids, great friendships between student wives. We lived in a great college town.

My husband was and is very driven.I believe in hindsight that his doctorate was a gift to himself and not like he wanted me to think, a necessity to earn more money for us afterwards. He would have done just as well professionally without that.

Pediatricians did not accept the college health insurance and it was very very poor too. To be allowed a payment from a specialist for our daughter I lied. I said he wasn't a student, was a techn.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:32 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Thank you everyone for your answers, it really helps!
    Anonymous