• In the Spotlight:

How can and I get my white sofa cleaned and repaired?

I have an off white sofa, which has many stains and a few rips from my cat.I'm not savy on such things as furniture care, but would like to savage this sofa...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Home & Garden

• You may want to test it first with 409's upholstry cleaner.

I read on yahoo answers, 1001 Trouble Shooters spray for upholstry. Some say OXY Clean.

Good luck!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 3:23 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Also, with a cat in the house, I would put a throw cover over the couch. That way stains won't get ON the sofa so easily. And there are different sizes for couches/sofas now days and with alot of nice prints and solid colors as well.

Not sure how to keep the cat from scratching. Even if front paws declawed, the back legs dig into furniture too.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 3:26 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I had an off-white 3 piece recliner/sleeper sofa set (from my single girl days!), and until we were able to replace the set with darker colors and a busier pattern (I have 2 boys--'nuff said!), I found a local furniture upholsterer who charged me less than 1/3 the cost of replacing the set, and I found a pretty paisley pattern that hides EVERYTHING! The upholsterer picked up and re-delivered my furniture in about 2 weeks time! Worth every penny, and that was about 5 years ago--still looks GREAT--and is so much less frustrating that spending all kinds of money on cleaning products!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:37 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Kids and pets/white furntiure= do NOT mix. Find someone who does steam cleaning of furniture and then cover the furniture with a cover to protect the fabric.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2009