How long does it take to be a nurse?

I mean how much schooling and what else do you have to do? I want to take online classes for now to get my general Ed done and then go to my local community college. I am a single mom of twins so I know it will be hard. Did you get scholarships?? How much did it cost total? Thanks ;)

dennysgirl07

Asked by dennysgirl07 at 1:34 AM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:07 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I **think** that the nursing program alone is a 2year program.

I can't give any more info then that, because i've never done it.
    But my mom was a single mother to 4 kids and she did it!!!! You can do it too!!!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:36 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Thanks for the support!!!

:)
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 1:47 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• you can get a AD in 2 years but alot of times there are waiting periods to get in-you can take your prereqs during that time...oh and go for the RN-you'll make tons more than a LPN.
    So I would say 3 years full time...longer if you do online or part time...cost will all depend on the program. A community college program is certainly going to be cheaper than a 4 year degree....but I would go by reputation-you want a good program. You might qualify for aide-ask the school...
    it's going to be really hard with kids but if you can make it through, you have a great career ahead of you--challenging but rewarding....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Well, it all depends on what type of nurse you want to be...Where I live, a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) takes 1 year of vocational classes. An Associates degree in nursing (RN) takes 2 yeas, and a Bachelors degree in nursing (RN) will take 4 years. To be accepted in any of the nursing programs here, you have to have taken A & P(anatomy and physiology) and made at least a C average to even be considered. Good luck! It won't be easy, but most things worth doing aren't! =)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• How much do you usually get paid?
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 2:10 AM on Oct. 17, 2009